Coding theory: Find the right code word

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of performing error correction on a received code using a single bit correcting BCH code. It mentions finding the error pattern through long division and determining the coset leader by dividing e^i for i=1 to 6. The conversation also mentions the use of a field GF(2^3) and provides an example of finding the error location and correcting the code word.
fiksx
Homework Statement
Error correction can be performed on 1010101 after reception, i need to find the right code <br>
Relevant Equations
i know that the polynomial for the received code is $x^6+x^4+x2+1$
Error correction can be performed on 1010101 after reception, i need to find the right code <br>
i know that the polynomial for the received code is $$x^6+x^4+x2+1$$
when i try to find the error pattern,by long division, $$r(x)/g(x)$$
the remainder is $$z^2+z^2+1$$ xor $$z^2+z+1$$ so the remainder is $$z^2+z+1$$ or $$z^2+z$$?
and also how can i know the coset leader? do i need to divide $$e^i$$ for i=1 until 6 and find the one that have same remainder with the error?

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm assuming this is a single bit correcting BCH code, for a codeword up to 7 bits (4 data, 3 ecc).
The field is GF(2^3), which could be g(x) = x^3 + x^2 + 1 or g(x) = x^3 + x + 1.
If g(x) = x^3 + x^2 + 1, r(x) mod g(x) = x^2, which doesn't match the question.
If g(x) = x^3 + x + 1, r(x) mod g(x) = x^2 + x, which matches the question.
I'm assuming g(x) = x^3 + x + 1, with α = x + 0
Syndrome(1) = r(α ) mod g(x) = r(x) mod g(x) = x^2 + x.
The error location is i , where α^i mod g(x) = x^2 + x.
The antilog table is α^{0,1,2,3,4,5,6} mod g(x) = {1, x, x^2, x+1, x^2+x, x^2+x+1, x^2+1}.
In this case i = 4.
So bit 4 (the 5th bit from the right) is in error, and the corrected code word is 1000101.

A codeword with all zero bits except bit 4 produces the same remainder:
x^4 mod g(x) = x^2 + x ... or 0010000 mod 1011 = 110.
Codewords {0000001, 0000010, ... , 1000000} mod 1011 follow the same pattern as the antilog table.

Last edited:
Likes berkeman

1. What is coding theory?

Coding theory is a branch of mathematics and computer science that deals with the design and analysis of error-correcting codes. These codes are used to transmit information reliably and accurately over noisy communication channels.

2. How do you find the right code word?

To find the right code word, you need to first understand the coding scheme being used. This could be a simple substitution code or a more complex error-correcting code. Then, you need to analyze the information being transmitted and determine the most efficient way to encode it into a code word. This may involve using mathematical algorithms or techniques to minimize errors and maximize efficiency.

3. What is the importance of coding theory?

Coding theory is important because it allows for reliable and efficient communication over noisy channels. It is used in various applications such as telecommunication, data storage, and computer networking. Without coding theory, our ability to transmit and receive information accurately would be severely limited.

4. Can coding theory be applied to real-world problems?

Yes, coding theory has many practical applications in the real world. For example, it is used in satellite communications to ensure that data is transmitted accurately over long distances. It is also used in data compression to minimize the amount of information that needs to be transmitted. Additionally, coding theory is used in error-correction techniques for digital data storage.

5. What skills are needed to excel in coding theory?

To excel in coding theory, one needs a strong background in mathematics and computer science. This includes knowledge of algebra, number theory, probability, and algorithms. It is also important to have strong analytical and problem-solving skills, as well as the ability to think abstractly and creatively.