1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Coefficient of friction equations:

1. Jan 19, 2007 #1
    i need help bad. i have a deadline that i need to complete very soon. plz if anyone can help. i know i don't have the right answer:

a 4.40 kg block is pushed along the ceiling with a constant applied force of 89.0 N that acts at an angle of 66.0 degrees with the horizontal. the block accelerates to the right at 6.80 m/s^2. the acceleration of gravity is 9.81 m/s^2. what is the coefficeint of kinetic friction betweeen the block and the ceiling.

m = 4.4 kg
    a = 6.80 m/s^2
    fp = 89 N @ 66.0 degrees
    g - 9.81 m/s^2

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 19, 2007 #2

Gold Member

This is posted in the wrong forum. Do not double post, this one will be moved.

Well now that you've written all the known values. What can you do make your life easier in terms of getting to the formula? Mayb drawing a diagram and labeling? Mayb the 66 degrees is a give away that your diagram must include a triangle of some sort?
  4. Jan 19, 2007 #3
    i have a diagram already. it does indeed form a triangle. i tried every equation i can think of and work out. i used the cos and sin to find the normal force and friction yet i don't know how to use the acceleration within the equations.
  5. Jan 19, 2007 #4

Gold Member

Perhaps you could post the diagram if possible and give us the equations you have so far. Please note that in order to receive further help, you must show your attempt(s) as per the guidelines.
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2007
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?