Coefficient of friction-Puck travelling up an incline

In summary, the coefficient of friction between the puck and the incline was calculated to be approximately 0.77. However, there was an error in the original calculation due to incorrect placement of brackets, which resulted in a wrong answer. The correct calculation should be mu= (11.9-9.8sin36)/(9.8cos36) = 0.77.
ThomasMagnus
Coefficient of friction--Puck traveling up an incline

Homework Statement

A hockey puck is moving at 13m/s when it starts climbing an incline. It travels 7.1m from the base of the incline before sliding back down the slope, as shown

Find the coefficient of friction between the puck and the incline.

Untitled-6.png

The Attempt at a Solution

First find acceleration of the puck
Vf=final velocity=0
Vo=initial velocity= 13m/s
d=distance=7.1
Vf2=Vo2+2ad
-169=14.2a, a=11.9m/s2
[tex]\Sigma[/tex]Fx=max
Since the puck is accelerating up the incline, the Force of Friction and the Force Parallel will be in the same direction.

FF+F||=max

FF=([tex]\mu[/tex]) FN

FN=mgcos([tex]\theta[/tex])

F||=mgsin([tex]\theta[/tex])

([tex]\mu[/tex])mgcos([tex]\theta[/tex]) + mgsin([tex]\theta[/tex])= 11.9m

m([tex]\mu[/tex]gcos(36)+gsin36)=11.9m

Divide both sides by m, m cancels.

[tex]\mu[/tex]=11.9/9.8cos36+9.8sin36

[tex]\mu[/tex]=.87

The answer in the book is .77. Can you help me with where I am going wrong?

Thanks! =)

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Thomas! :smile:

(have a mu: µ and a theta: θ and a sigma: ∑ and a degree: ° :wink:)
ThomasMagnus said:
m([tex]\mu[/tex]gcos(36)+gsin36)=11.9m

[tex]\mu[/tex]=11.9/9.8cos36+9.8sin36

Nooo :redface:

I have honestly tried this over and over and keep ending up here. Where am I going wrong?

Thanks!

I think I see the error.

mu=11.9-9.8sin36/(9.8cos36)

11.90140845070423-5.760295472466237/(7.928366544874485)

6.141112978237993/7.928366544874485
=.77!

Thanks!

ThomasMagnus said:
mu=11.9-9.8sin36/(9.8cos36)

hmm :rolleyes:

i think you'll get less confused in future if you get into the habit of putting brackets in the right places! :biggrin:

Sorry I was typing it On my iPod :)

1. What is the coefficient of friction?

The coefficient of friction is a dimensionless quantity that represents the amount of resistance between two surfaces in contact. It is a ratio of the force required to move one surface over the other, to the force pressing the two surfaces together.

2. How is the coefficient of friction calculated?

The coefficient of friction is calculated by dividing the force of friction by the normal force between the two surfaces. It can also be calculated by measuring the angle at which an object begins to slide down an incline and using trigonometric functions to find the coefficient.

3. What factors affect the coefficient of friction?

The coefficient of friction can be affected by several factors, including the nature of the surfaces in contact, the roughness of the surfaces, the presence of lubricants, and the amount of force pressing the surfaces together.

4. How does an incline affect the coefficient of friction?

An incline can affect the coefficient of friction because it changes the angle at which the surfaces are in contact. As the angle of the incline increases, the normal force decreases and the coefficient of friction may also decrease, making it easier for an object to slide.

5. How does the coefficient of friction affect the movement of a puck up an incline?

The coefficient of friction plays a crucial role in the movement of a puck up an incline. A higher coefficient of friction means there is more resistance between the puck and the incline, making it more difficult for the puck to move up the incline. A lower coefficient of friction means there is less resistance and the puck can move more easily up the incline.