Coefficient of friction question.

In summary, the maximum safe speed on a wet racetrack to avoid sliding on a circular curve with a radius of curvature of 53 m is 77 km/hr. To find the coefficient of friction between the car's tires and the track surface, we can use the equation (gravity)*(coefficient) = (v^2)/r and plug in the values of V= 21.39 m/s and the correct radius of 53 m. The resulting coefficient of friction is approximately 0.8488. However, there was a discrepancy in the given radius, as it was stated as both 53 m and 55 m. The correct radius to use in the equation is 53 m.
JohnnyB212

Homework Statement

On a wet racetrack, the maximum safe speed, to avoid sliding on a level circular curve with a radius of curvature of 53 m, is 77 km/hr. What is the coefficient of friction between the car's tires and the track surface?

Homework Equations

(gravity)*(coefficient) = (v^2)/r

V= 21.39 m/s (after changing 77 km/hr into m/s)
Radius= 55 meters

The Attempt at a Solution

I kept getting the same answer .8488, but it keeps telling me I'm wrong? Help please!

Physics news on Phys.org
Cancel that, Stupid me plugged in the wrong radius into the equation, my mistake! Sorry!

JohnnyB212 said:
...on a level circular curve with a radius of curvature of 53 m

JohnnyB212 said:
Radius= 55 meters

There is a discrepancy here.

cepheid said:
There is a discrepancy here.

Yep, I just caught this! My mistake. :frown:

Question 1: What is the coefficient of friction?

The coefficient of friction is a measure of the resistance between two surfaces in contact with each other. It is a dimensionless quantity that represents the ratio of the force required to move one surface over the other to the force pressing the two surfaces together.

Question 2: How is the coefficient of friction calculated?

The coefficient of friction is calculated by dividing the force required to move one surface over the other by the force pressing the two surfaces together. This can be determined experimentally by measuring the force needed to move one surface over the other, or by using equations based on the materials and surface characteristics.

Question 3: What factors affect the coefficient of friction?

The coefficient of friction can be affected by several factors, including the nature of the surfaces in contact, the amount of force pressing the surfaces together, the speed of movement, and the presence of lubricants or contaminants on the surfaces.

Question 4: Why is the coefficient of friction important?

The coefficient of friction is important because it helps us understand and predict the behavior of objects in contact. It is used in various fields such as engineering, physics, and materials science to design and improve the performance of machines and structures.

Question 5: How can the coefficient of friction be reduced?

The coefficient of friction can be reduced by using lubricants such as oils, greases, or powders, which create a thin layer between the surfaces in contact. Changing the surface characteristics, such as smoothing or roughening, can also affect the coefficient of friction. Additionally, reducing the force pressing the surfaces together or decreasing the speed of movement can decrease the coefficient of friction.