Coefficient of kinetic friction for spring-block system

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 5K views
besenji
Messages
4
Reaction score
0
This problem has been giving me some trouble, and I was wondering if anyone could help?

A 0.700 kg wood block is firmly attached to a very light horizontal spring (k = 200 N/m) as shown in the figure (Intro 1 figure) . This block-spring system, when compressed 4.7 cm and released, stretches out 2.5 cm beyond the equilibrium position before stopping and turning back.

What is the coefficient of kinetic friction between the block and the table?

I just can't seem to find the correct equation.

I know that it involves 1/2kx^2. I am just not sure how to find the uk using that.

Any bit of help is greatly appreciated.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi besenji,

besenji said:
This problem has been giving me some trouble, and I was wondering if anyone could help?

A 0.700 kg wood block is firmly attached to a very light horizontal spring (k = 200 N/m) as shown in the figure (Intro 1 figure) . This block-spring system, when compressed 4.7 cm and released, stretches out 2.5 cm beyond the equilibrium position before stopping and turning back.

What is the coefficient of kinetic friction between the block and the table?

I just can't seem to find the correct equation.

I know that it involves 1/2kx^2. I am just not sure how to find the uk using that.

Any bit of help is greatly appreciated.

I would suggest using the equation that relates non-conservative work to the change in energy. What do you get?