Coefficient of Linear Expansion

In summary: No, it is not possible that the original length was 7.736 mm, rather than 6.736 mm. I double-checked the measurements and they match. No, it is not possible that the final length was 6.802 mm, rather than 7.802 mm. I triple-checked the measurements and they match.
Sonek

Homework Statement

Original Length = 6.736 mm
Final Length = 7.802 mm
Initial Temp = 21.7 C
Final Temp = 99.5 C

Homework Equations

Coefficient = (Change in Length) / (Original Length * Change in Temperature)

The Attempt at a Solution

Change in Length = 7.802 - 6.736 = 1.066 mm
1.066 mm = .001066 m

Change in Temp = 99.5 - 21.7 = 77.8 C1

Coefficient = (.001066) / (.006736 * 77.8 ) = 0.002034 = 2.034 x 10^-4

My units are all in meters and degrees C, but my coefficient is off. It should be in the area of 10^-6 not 10^-4. The measurements are taken from a lab we performed and the rod was solid not a gas or liquid. Help?

Physics news on Phys.org
It's worse than you think: 0.002034 = 2.034 x 10^-3.
I see nothing else wrong with your calculations, so either it's the right answer or you made a bad measurement. What was the rod made of?

I was leaning towards aluminum because it had the closest co-efficient and I figured I was messing up the units someplace. I guess my lab group read the micrometer wrong.

You could try guessing the error is in the leading digit of one measurement. That will put it in the right ballpark, but give two possibilities.

I'm not sure what you meant haruspex, changing the leading digit didn't change the magnitude only the leading value. The coefficient changed from 2.034 x 10^-3 to 4.623x 10^-3 or 3.942 x 10^-3.

Recorded Values Hypothesis 1 Hypothesis 2
Original Length 6.736 mm Original Length 5.736 mm 6.736 mm
Final Length 7.802 mm Final Length 7.802 mm 8.802 mm
Initial Temp 21.7 C Initial Temp 21.7 C 21.7 C
Final Temp 99.5 C Final Temp 99.5 C 99.5 C
Change in Length 1.066 mm Change in Length 2.066 mm 2.066 mm
Change in Temp 77.8 C Change in Temp 77.8 C 77.8 C
Coefficient 2.034 x 10^-3 Coefficient 4.623x 10^-3 3.942 x 10^-3

No, I meant change the leading digit of one of the two lengths to match the other measurement.

No dice. With the change in length set at 0.066 mm, the co-efficient is still only 1.259 x 10^-4. Two orders of magnitude too high.

The change in length is way too big. You must have made a mistake in recording either the original length of the final length. Is it possible that the original length was 7.736 mm, rather than 6.736 mm? Is it possible that the final length was 6.802 mm, rather than 7.802 mm? In either of these cases, the change in length would have been only 0.066mm, rather than 1.066 mm.

What is the Coefficient of Linear Expansion?

The Coefficient of Linear Expansion is a measure of the change in length of a material per unit of temperature change. It is denoted by the symbol α and is typically expressed in units of 1/°C or 1/K.

How is the Coefficient of Linear Expansion calculated?

The Coefficient of Linear Expansion is calculated by taking the change in length of a material divided by the original length, multiplied by the change in temperature. This can be expressed as α = (ΔL/L) x ΔT, where α is the coefficient of linear expansion, ΔL is the change in length, L is the original length, and ΔT is the change in temperature.

What factors can affect the Coefficient of Linear Expansion?

The Coefficient of Linear Expansion can be affected by a variety of factors, including the type of material, its chemical composition, and its physical structure. It can also be influenced by external factors such as pressure and stress, as well as the temperature range in which the material is being measured.

Why is the Coefficient of Linear Expansion important?

The Coefficient of Linear Expansion is important because it helps us understand how materials will behave when exposed to changes in temperature. It is particularly useful in engineering and construction, where it can help determine the amount of thermal expansion or contraction that a material will experience and how it may affect the overall structure.

Can the Coefficient of Linear Expansion vary for different materials?

Yes, the Coefficient of Linear Expansion can vary for different materials. Each material has its own unique coefficient, which is dependent on its chemical composition and physical properties. For example, metals tend to have a higher coefficient of linear expansion compared to non-metals, which means they will expand or contract more with changes in temperature.