Thermal Expansion of a Wire Connected To a Rod

In summary: You should check your work.In summary, the conceptual approach is correct, but the arithmetic is incorrect.
person123

Homework Statement

thermal expansion question.png

Homework Equations

ΔL=LαΔT
σ=EΔL/L

The Attempt at a Solution

For part a, I used the coefficient of linear expansion for copper and the change in temperature to find the change in length (0.068%). I thought part b had the same answer. The two are attached, and I would imagine that the elongation would be controlled by the thick rod rather than the thin wire. For part c , I found the length the natural strain of the wire due to thermal expansion (0.048%). I then took the difference between the actual strain and the natural strain and multiplied by young's modulus to find the additional stress (2.4*10^7 N/m^2). I then added that to the original stress (1.00*10^6 N/m^2) to get 2.5*10^7 N/m^2. Is this the correct approach? Thanks.

Attachments

• thermal expansion question.png
    thermal expansion question.png
    25.3 KB · Views: 1,344
Physics news on Phys.org
person123 said:
For part c , I found the length the natural strain of the wire due to thermal expansion (0.048%).
Fine to here, but I am not quite clear on what you did next. Please post the details.

I knew that the wire would stretch 0.048% without the rod, but it is actually stretched 0.068%. I took the difference of the two values to find the additional strain due to the rod stretching the wire. I then multiplied that by Young's Modulus to find the additional stress:

σ=(2.0*10^11 N/m^2)(0.068%-0.048%)=2.4*10^7 N/m^2.

I then added that stress to the original stress the wire was under (1.00*10^6 N/m^2). This gave me the answer 2.5*10^7 N/m^2.

Last edited:
person123 said:
σ=(2.0*10^100 N/m^2)(0.068%-0.048%)=2.4*10^7 N/m^2.
I guess you meant 1011, not 10100, but the 2.4 is wrong.

Oh, I realized I made a careless error. It is 2*10^-4 . The final answer becomes 41*10^6 N/m^2. The answers just came up, and it's correct.

Last edited:
person123 said:
Yes, I meant 10^11
But the 2.4 is still wrong.

person123 said:

Homework Statement

View attachment 235607

Homework Equations

ΔL=LαΔT
σ=EΔL/L

The Attempt at a Solution

For part a, I used the coefficient of linear expansion for copper and the change in temperature to find the change in length (0.068%). I thought part b had the same answer. The two are attached, and I would imagine that the elongation would be controlled by the thick rod rather than the thin wire. For part c , I found the length the natural strain of the wire due to thermal expansion (0.048%). I then took the difference between the actual strain and the natural strain and multiplied by young's modulus to find the additional stress (2.4*10^7 N/m^2). I then added that to the original stress (1.00*10^6 N/m^2) to get 2.5*10^7 N/m^2. Is this the correct approach? Thanks.
I think that your conceptual approach is correct. I'm not so sure that you did the arithmetic correctly.

1. What is thermal expansion?

Thermal expansion is the increase in size or volume of a material when it is heated. This occurs because the particles in the material gain kinetic energy and vibrate more, causing them to take up more space.

2. How does thermal expansion affect a wire connected to a rod?

If a wire is connected to a rod and both are heated, the wire will expand along with the rod. However, since the wire is thinner and has less volume, it will expand more than the rod and experience a greater change in length.

3. What factors affect the thermal expansion of a wire connected to a rod?

The thermal expansion of a wire connected to a rod is affected by the material composition, temperature change, and the original length and diameter of the wire and rod. The type of connection between the wire and rod can also affect the amount of expansion.

4. How can the thermal expansion of a wire connected to a rod be calculated?

The thermal expansion of a wire connected to a rod can be calculated using the formula: ΔL = αLΔT, where ΔL is the change in length, α is the coefficient of linear thermal expansion, L is the original length, and ΔT is the change in temperature. The coefficient of linear thermal expansion can be found in reference tables for different materials.

5. What is the importance of understanding thermal expansion in engineering?

Understanding thermal expansion is crucial in engineering as it can affect the design, functionality, and longevity of structures and components. If thermal expansion is not taken into consideration, it can lead to structural failures, malfunctions, and safety hazards.