Coefficient of Restitution & Collisions

In summary, the conversation is about a problem involving two spheres, A and B, in a smooth groove on a horizontal table. The first collision occurs at time T and the coefficient of restitution between the spheres is e. The velocities of A and B after the first collision are found to be Vb = V(1+e)/2 and Va = (1-e)/2, respectively. The second collision takes place at time t = T(2+e)/e. The conversation also includes a solution for the first part in Solution1.txt and a discussion about the distance traveled by A and B before the second collision. The solution is simplified by considering the relative velocity between the spheres, which is eV.
wanchosen
Hi there,

I have been struggling with this problem for a while. It's an A-Level Mechanics problem.

A smooth groove in the form of a circle of radius a is carved out of a horizontal table. Two small spheres, A and B, lie at rest in the groove at opposite ends of a diameter. At time t = 0, the sphere A is projected along the groove and the first collision occurs at time = T. Given that e is the coefficient of restitution between the spheres, find the velocities of A and B after the first collision. Hence, or otherwise, show that the second collision takes place at time

t = T(2+e)/e.

I have included my solution of the first part in Solution1.txt and can confirm the answers. It's the last part that I have been unable to do.

After collision 1, B is traveling faster than A and I am assuming they are both traveling in the same direction (I have tried assuming A rebounded but still can't get the answer!)

So distance traveled by A before the second collision will be

(Va is the velocity after the first collision, Sa is the distance traveled by A before 2nd impact.)

Sa = t x Va

The distance traveled by B before impact will be the circumference + Sa

Sb = 2πa + Sa

where Sb also equals

Sb = t x Vb

I've substituted the velocities for A and B but still come up with

t = 2T/e

Can somebody help?

Attachments

• Solution 1.txt
    1.7 KB · Views: 374
Physics news on Phys.org
wanchosen said:
A smooth groove in the form of a circle of radius a is carved out of a horizontal table. Two small spheres, A and B, lie at rest in the groove at opposite ends of a diameter. At time t = 0, the sphere A is projected along the groove and the first collision occurs at time = T. Given that e is the coefficient of restitution between the spheres, find the velocities of A and B after the first collision. Hence, or otherwise, show that the second collision takes place at time

t = T(2+e)/e.

I've substituted the velocities for A and B but still come up with

t = 2T/e

Hi wanchosen! :smile:

But 2T/e is right … add the original T, and you get T(2+e)/e. :rolleyes:

btw, you're making this needlessly complicated …

Once you've obtained Vb = V(1+e)/2, Va = (1-e)/2,

all you need to know is Vb - Va, which is eV.

It's only the relative velocity that matters! :smile:

Hi tiny-tim,

Thank you so much for that. That makes sense now! It was much easier working with the relative velocity! I completely forgot about adding the original time T to travel to the first collision! Thanks again.

What is the coefficient of restitution?

The coefficient of restitution is a measure of the elasticity of a collision between two objects. It is defined as the ratio of the final velocity of separation to the initial velocity of approach.

How is the coefficient of restitution calculated?

The coefficient of restitution is calculated by dividing the final velocity of separation by the initial velocity of approach. This can be determined through experiments or by using mathematical equations based on the properties of the objects involved in the collision.

What factors affect the coefficient of restitution?

The coefficient of restitution is affected by various factors such as the materials and surface properties of the objects involved, the angle and speed of impact, and external forces such as air resistance or friction. The elasticity of the materials is a key factor in determining the coefficient of restitution.

What is the significance of the coefficient of restitution?

The coefficient of restitution is an important concept in the study of collisions and is used to understand the energy transfer and conservation during a collision. It is also used in various industries such as sports, engineering, and physics to design and analyze the performance of objects during collisions.

How does the coefficient of restitution differ from the coefficient of friction?

The coefficient of restitution measures the elasticity of a collision, while the coefficient of friction measures the resistance to motion between two surfaces in contact. The coefficient of friction is also affected by factors such as the roughness and weight of the objects, while the coefficient of restitution is not affected by these factors.