1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Coefficient of Restitution & Collisions

1. May 17, 2008 #1
    Hi there,

I have been struggling with this problem for a while. It's an A-Level Mechanics problem.

A smooth groove in the form of a circle of radius a is carved out of a horizontal table. Two small spheres, A and B, lie at rest in the groove at opposite ends of a diameter. At time t = 0, the sphere A is projected along the groove and the first collision occurs at time = T. Given that e is the coefficient of restitution between the spheres, find the velocities of A and B after the first collision. Hence, or otherwise, show that the second collision takes place at time

t = T(2+e)/e.

I have included my solution of the first part in Solution1.txt and can confirm the answers. It's the last part that I have been unable to do.

After collision 1, B is travelling faster than A and I am assuming they are both travelling in the same direction (I have tried assuming A rebounded but still cant get the answer!)

So distance travelled by A before the second collision will be

(Va is the velocity after the first collision, Sa is the distance travelled by A before 2nd impact.)

Sa = t x Va

The distance travelled by B before impact will be the circumference + Sa

Sb = 2πa + Sa

where Sb also equals

Sb = t x Vb

I've substituted the velocities for A and B but still come up with

t = 2T/e

Can somebody help?

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. May 17, 2008 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi wanchosen! :smile:

But 2T/e is right … add the original T, and you get T(2+e)/e. :rolleyes:

btw, you're making this needlessly complicated …

Once you've obtained Vb = V(1+e)/2, Va = (1-e)/2,

all you need to know is Vb - Va, which is eV.

It's only the relative velocity that matters! :smile:
  4. May 18, 2008 #3
    Hi tiny-tim,

Thank you so much for that. That makes sense now! It was much easier working with the relative velocity! I completely forgot about adding the original time T to travel to the first collision! Thanks again.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?