Coefficient of static friction of chain

In summary, the chain will start to slide off the table if the last link leaves it, and the speed of the chain is determined by the amount of friction between the chain and the table.
coolcat_ka
Hi! I'm studying for an exam on Friday, and I'm stuck on this problem:

A uniform chain of length 8.00m initially lies stretched out on a horizontal table.
A. Assuming the coefficient of static friction between chain and table is 0.600, show that the chain will begin to slide off the table if at least 3.00m of it hangs over the edge of the table.
B. Determine the speed of the chain as its last link leaves the table, given that the coefficient of kinetic friction between the chain and the table is 0.400

Possible Equations to use?
m=z(y), y=dm/dx
dm/dt=dz/dt(y)

Any help would be appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi coolcat_ka! Welcome to PF!

Show us what you've tried, and where you're stuck, and then we'll know how to help. :smile:

ok, so for part a:

m=ro(x), where x=length.
m1=5rx, m2=3r0

F(gravity)-F(friction)=0

so m2g-mv(m1g)=0

(9.8)(3)r0-(9.8)(5.)(0.6)r0-0
3-(5(0.6))=0

And I believe that is how I can prove that the chain starts to slide, but I wanted to makesure I had done that correctly.

But I am stuck on part b - I don't even know where to start.

Hi coolcat_ka! :smile:
coolcat_ka said:
m=ro(x), where x=length.
m1=5rx, m2=3r0

F(gravity)-F(friction)=0

so m2g-mv(m1g)=0

(9.8)(3)r0-(9.8)(5.)(0.6)r0-0
3-(5(0.6))=0

Goodness, that's a mess! :redface:

(if you don't have a rho on your keyboard, then use something you do have … like k … it isn't compulsory to use rho for density :rolleyes:)

i] you could have divided your equation by g, so that you didn't have to put 9.8 in at all

ii] it would be better practice if you used a general amount, y, instead of 3, and then showed that y = 3.

For part b), use the same basic method (but with kinetic instead of static friction) … Newton's second law … weight of y less friction of (8-y) = mass times acceleration. :smile:

Excellent, thank you!

1. What is the coefficient of static friction of a chain?

The coefficient of static friction of a chain is a measure of the amount of force needed to overcome the static friction between two surfaces in contact with each other. It is represented by the symbol µs and is typically expressed as a decimal or percentage.

2. How is the coefficient of static friction of a chain calculated?

The coefficient of static friction of a chain can be calculated by dividing the maximum force of static friction by the normal force between the two surfaces. This can be determined experimentally by gradually increasing the force applied to the chain until it begins to slide, and then measuring the maximum force at which it remains stationary.

3. What factors affect the coefficient of static friction of a chain?

The coefficient of static friction of a chain can be affected by several factors, including the type and condition of the surfaces in contact, the weight and shape of the chain, and the presence of any lubricants or contaminants on the surfaces.

4. What is the significance of the coefficient of static friction of a chain?

The coefficient of static friction of a chain is an important parameter in designing and analyzing systems involving chains, such as pulleys, hoists, or conveyor belts. It helps determine the maximum weight or load that a chain can support before it begins to slide, and can also affect the efficiency and safety of the system.

5. Can the coefficient of static friction of a chain change over time?

Yes, the coefficient of static friction of a chain can change over time due to factors such as wear and tear on the chain or surfaces, changes in temperature or humidity, and the accumulation of debris or contaminants. It is important to regularly monitor and adjust for any changes in the coefficient of static friction in order to maintain the safety and efficiency of the system.