Coefficients in expansions of a vector potential

In summary, the conversation discusses two different expressions for the vector potential, each with a different constant coefficient. This is due to different conventions used by authors in defining the Fourier transform. The constant coefficients do not affect the overall meaning of the expressions.
Haorong Wu
TL;DR Summary
Why the coefficients in expansions of a vector potential are different in different papers?
I have seen two expansions of a vector potential,

$$\mathbf A=\sum_\sigma \int \frac{d^3k}{(16 \pi^3 |\mathbf k|)^{1/2}} [\epsilon_\sigma(\mathbf k) \alpha_\sigma (\mathbf k) e^{i \mathbf k \cdot \mathbf x}+c.c.],$$
and
$$\mathbf A=\sum_\sigma \int \frac{d^3k}{ (2 \pi)^3(2 |\mathbf k|)^{1/2}} [\epsilon_\sigma(\mathbf k) \alpha_\sigma (\mathbf k) e^{i \mathbf k \cdot \mathbf x}+c.c.],$$
where ##\epsilon_\sigma## are polarizations, ##\alpha_\sigma (\mathbf k)## are amplitudes.

My problem is the two coefficients ## (2 \pi)^{3/2}## and ## (2 \pi)^3## in these two expressions, respectively. Why they are different?

I do not remember where I have read something about it, that it is related to the definition of Fourier transform.

Thanks for any hints.

Likes Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org
The constant coefficients don’t matter. They are only there for convenience. They are different because the two different authors disagreed on which was most convenient.

Likes Delta2
It's just a question of conventions. You have as many normalization conventions in the Fourier mode decomposition of (quantum) fields you have authors of textbooks and papers (or even more ;-)).

Likes Delta2 and Dale
Physicists usually define the FT as ##f(x)=\int...F(k)##,and mathematicians
use ##f(x)=(2\pi)^{-1/2}\int##.

Likes Delta2
Well, there are many types of physicists and all define their FTs differently. Sometimes the convention changes even in different subfields of physics.

E.g., in non-relativistic quantum mechanics one usually defines the FT between position and momentum (or rather "wave-vector") representation in a symmetric way, i.e., as unitary transformations from ##\mathrm{L}^2 \rightarrow \mathrm{L}^2## (for 1D motion):
$$\psi(x)=\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \mathrm{d} k \frac{1}{\sqrt{2 \pi}} \tilde{\psi}(k) \exp(\mathrm{i} k x) \; \Leftrightarrow \; \tilde{\psi}(k)=\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \mathrm{d} x \frac{1}{\sqrt{2 \pi}} \psi(x) \exp(-\mathrm{i} k x).$$
In relativistic (Q)FT most physicists use
$$\psi(x)=\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \mathrm{d} k \frac{1}{2 \pi} \tilde{\psi}(k) \exp(\mathrm{i} k x) \; \Leftrightarrow \; \tilde{\psi}(k)=\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \mathrm{d} x \psi(x) \exp(-\mathrm{i} k x).$$
For the FT wrt. time vs. angular frequency you have the same conventions but with the opposite signs in the exponentials. That's because one usually has to solve wave equations and likes to have ##k## the direction of the wave's phase velocity and not ##-k##.

In many engineering texts this signs in the exponential are reversed ;-)).

In short, it's a mess, and one must be careful when reading texts to make sure to figure out, which convention is used.

Likes Delta2
Thank you all! It is clear now.

Likes vanhees71 and Delta2
The different constants shouldn't trouble you a lot. Unless of course the constants present in formulas have dimensions. In this case they are plain numbers, no dimensions involved.

1. What is a vector potential?

A vector potential is a mathematical concept used in physics and engineering to describe the magnetic field in a given region. It is a vector field that represents the direction and magnitude of the magnetic field at each point in space.

2. What are the coefficients in expansions of a vector potential?

The coefficients in expansions of a vector potential are the numerical values that represent the strength and direction of each component of the vector potential. These coefficients are typically expressed as a series of terms in a mathematical equation.

3. How are coefficients in expansions of a vector potential calculated?

The coefficients in expansions of a vector potential are calculated using mathematical techniques such as Fourier analysis or Taylor series expansion. These methods involve breaking down the vector potential into simpler components and determining the coefficients for each component.

4. What is the significance of coefficients in expansions of a vector potential?

The coefficients in expansions of a vector potential are important because they allow us to accurately describe the behavior of magnetic fields in a given region. By calculating these coefficients, we can better understand the strength and direction of the magnetic field and how it may change over time or in different situations.

5. How are coefficients in expansions of a vector potential used in practical applications?

Coefficients in expansions of a vector potential have many practical applications, such as in the design of electric motors, generators, and other electromagnetic devices. They are also used in the study of plasma physics, quantum mechanics, and other fields of science and engineering that involve the manipulation of magnetic fields.