1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Coefficients of kinetic friction, help PLEASE!

1. Sep 1, 2007 #1
    Here is the problem:

A hockey puck is hit on a frozen lake and starts moving with a speed of 13.0 m/s. Five seconds later, its speed is 5.20 m/s.

(a) What is its average acceleration?

I used the kinematic equation V=Vo+at to find the accerlation which came out to be -1.56 m/s^2 (this answer is right).

(b) What is the average value of the coefficient of kinetic friction between puck and ice?

(c) How far does the puck travel during the 5.00 s interval? m

I used X-Xo=1/2[V+Vo]t to solve this and got 45.5 m, which is right.

So basically, I'm stuck on part B of this problem. I don't remember my professor going over how to solve this particular type of problem in class so I was hoping someone here could get me started. I'm not asking for the answer, just an explanation of how to solve Part B.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 1, 2007 #2

hage567

Homework Helper

Think about forces and Newton's second law. You have already figured out the acceleration. What's the definition of kinetic friction?

4. Sep 1, 2007 #3
    I assume I would make F=ma equal to Fk=uN.

However, I don't see how I can do this since the mass wasn't given.

5. Sep 1, 2007 #4

hage567

Homework Helper

OK, but what is the normal force equal to?

6. Sep 1, 2007 #5
    The normal force is equal to the weight, which is mass x gravity, but again I get lost because I don't have the mass.

7. Sep 1, 2007 #6
    Wait, nevermind. I got it. I divided acceleration/gravity and came out with the answer.

Thanks for your help though!!

8. Sep 1, 2007 #7

hage567

Homework Helper

Good!

You're welcome :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?