1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Coefficient of Kinetic Friction

1. Mar 24, 2014 #1
    "A hockey puck is hit on a frozen lake and starts moving with a speed of 12 m/s. Exactly 5.0 s later, its speed is 6.0 m/s. What's the puck's average acceleration? What is the coefficient of kinetic friction between the puck and the ice?"

I've calculated the acceleration, but I'm stuck when it comes to finding the coefficient of kinetic friction since I don't know the mass of the object.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 24, 2014 #2
    You don't need the mass of the object, just like when calculating how fast something accelerates towards the Earth you don't need to know its mass. :)

4. Mar 24, 2014 #3
    How would you calculate that without the mass, though?

5. Mar 24, 2014 #4
    Well, think about it. The force on the puck is mgµ, and its acceleration is F/m. Right?

6. Mar 24, 2014 #5
    Solve the equations algebraically and you will see that at some point the mass cancels out of the equation providing a solution independent of the mass.

7. Mar 24, 2014 #6
    Write Newton's second law for the puck. What forces acts on the puck?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted