1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Coefficients using orthogonality relation

1. May 18, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Have a solution for the temperature u(x,t) of a heated rod, now using the orthogonality relation below show that the coefficients [itex]a_n , n = 0,1,2,...[/itex] can be expressed as:

[tex]a_n = \frac{2}{L} \int_{0}^{L} cos\frac{n\pi x}{L} f(x) dx[/tex]

2. Relevant equations

[tex]\int_{0}^{L} cos\frac{n\pi x}{L} cos\frac{m\pi x}{L} dx = \left\{\begin{matrix}
    L & n=m=0 \\
    L\delta_{nm}/2 & otherwise
    \end{matrix}\right.[/tex]

[tex]u(x,t)=\frac{a_{0}}{2} + \sum_{n=1}^{inf} a_n cos(\frac{n \pi x}{L})exp[-\alpha (\frac{n\pi}{L})^2 t][/tex]

[tex]u(x,0) = f(x)[/tex]

[tex]a_n = \frac{<cos(\frac{n\pi x}{L}),f(x))>}{{\left \| cos(\frac{n\pi x}{L} \right \|}^2}[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

So I've tried doing this using the relation involving inner products above, I've also tried multiplying both sides of the equation [itex]f(x) = \frac{a_{0}}{2} + \sum_{n=1}^{inf} a_n cos(\frac{n \pi x}{L})[/itex] by [itex]cos(\frac{m \pi x}{L})[/itex] and integrating from 0 to L.

So going the inner product way, I think my problem is with the value of the norm squared because a similar issue turns up the other way (even though it is essentially the same thing). I get my expression for the norm and note that there are two terms with n so n = m therefore I consider the case where n = 0 therefore n = m = 0 and I get L as my norm squared. Then I consider the case where n > 0 then n = m != 0 , I then get L/2 as my norm squared. This is what doesn't make sense to me. I can get the right answer if I just consider n = m != 0 but I get a second one which isn't the answer if I consider n = m = 0.

Thank You.

2. jcsd
  3. May 18, 2013 #2
    I think this issue has now been solved, thank you.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted