1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Coeffiecient of friction question

1. Dec 22, 2007 #1
    [SOLVED] Coeffiecient of friction question

I'm probably being stupid here, but I just want to check I'm using the coefficient of friction right.
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A block on a plane, in equilibrium for the moment, the block has two ridges on the bottom, so reaction forces are split into [tex]R_{R}\ \mbox{and} \ R_{L}[/tex] and the same for friction.

Is the coefficient of friction the whole of the frictional force on the block divided by the whole of the reaction force, of equal to the ratios of left and right forces?

i.e. [tex]\mu = \frac{F_{L}+F_{R}}{R_{L}+R_{R}}\ \mbox{or} \ \mu = \frac{F_{L}}{R_{L}} = \frac{F_{R}}{R_{R}}[/tex]

I originally was certain that it was the latter, but if you could combine them like the former, it would make my impossible question quite simple.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 22, 2007 #2

Shooting Star

Homework Helper

Both are the same. I hope you know enough elementary algebra to prove it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?