College Algebra And Trig at the same time?

In summary, the individual has a weaker foundation in Algebra and has been advised by their professor to take College Algebra and Trigonometry separately. They have previously taken Pre-Calculus and got B-'s in both semesters, but their professor advised them to retake Pre-Calculus or take the combined Pre-Calculus course. The individual is considering taking both College Algebra and Trigonometry at the same time, but it is not recommended. Instead, it is suggested to take them separately or as part of a Pre-Calculus course. Additionally, taking Geometry is not recommended as it is not commonly taught in college. The individual is advised to take ALEKS assessments to determine their strengths and weaknesses.
Zbaldridge
I am currently a community college student majoring in Computer Science, and I was placed into Calculus 1. I had to withdraw from this course for two semesters now. My professor advised me that I have "Algebra Issues".

With my weaker foundation of Algebra, I plan to take the College Algebra course. I would also like to take trigonometry because I never took that class in high school. I technically never took Geometry, and I did poorly in Algebra 2 my junior year. (I got a B first semester and a C second semester).

On the other hand, I took PreCalculus my senior year, and got B-'s for both semesters which got me landed in Calc 1. My professor advised me to just take PreCalc again since it has a good mixture of the two, but I would rather take them both concurrently. I feel I would have a better understanding of both taking them individually than having a mixed class.

What do you guys think? Also, due to school scheduling, would it make a difference if I were to take Trig for the whole term(Summer 8 weeks), and College Algebra for the second half of the summer (4 weeks)? Or should I plan it to have Trig then College Algebra within the same day. (8 weeks)?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Zbaldridge said:
My professor advised me that I have "Algebra Issues".

With my weaker foundation of Algebra, I plan to take the College Algebra course. I would also like to take trigonometry because I never took that class in high school. I technically never took Geometry, and I did poorly in Algebra 2 my junior year. (I got a B first semester and a C second semester).
Start with Intermediate Algebra. You may be currently unprepared for College Algebra.
Do well with very hard study in Intermediate Algebra, and then next you may be able to handle Trigonometry, and again study very thoroughly and hard. Once that done, your choice if to try College Algebra Plus Trignometry as the single "Pre-Calculus" course, or to try separate course of College Algebra.

Likes berkeman
Zbaldridge said:
On the other hand, I took PreCalculus my senior year, and got B-'s for both semesters which got me landed in Calc 1. My professor advised me to just take PreCalc again since it has a good mixture of the two, but I would rather take them both concurrently. I feel I would have a better understanding of both taking them individually than having a mixed class.

What do you guys think? Also, due to school scheduling, would it make a difference if I were to take Trig for the whole term(Summer 8 weeks), and College Algebra for the second half of the summer (4 weeks)? Or should I plan it to have Trig then College Algebra within the same day. (8 weeks)?
A couple possible ways to go into the prerequisite courses, depending on if you need also Geometry, and if you want Trigonometry separate from Pre-Calc or College Algebra.

One way:
  1. Intermed Algebra
  2. Geometry
  3. Trigonometry full semester course
  4. Pre-Calculus full semester course including Trigonometry

Other way:
  1. Intermed Algebra
  2. Geometry
  4. College Algebra full semester course
Understand that having Trig done TWICE, is not necessarily a problem. You may find it difficult or not, but only you can find this for yourself. The advantage of the seprate courses around PreCalculus is you could choose the whole semester course dedicated to College Algebra, and the other whole semester course dedicated to Trigonometry. Note that the Pre-Calculus single course may most likely give several weeks to the Algebra followed by several weeks on the Trigonometry.

Back to the subject question of the topic: Both separate courses at the same time?
My opinion, which is only an opinion, is NO. Do not do both separate courses in the same term. Too hard. Each course separately is hard. Both courses same term may be too hard. You may then wonder, is the Pre-Calculus course a better arrangement? My opinion again, maybe not a better arrangement because much more difficult to study both College Algebra AND Trigonometry as deeply and carefully in this combined "Elementary Functions"/CollegeAlgebraANDTrigonometry/Pre-Calculus course.

Take some ALEKS assessments and determine where your strong and weak areas are. Seems like you are mostly guessing.

symbolipoint said:
A couple possible ways to go into the prerequisite courses, depending on if you need also Geometry, and if you want Trigonometry separate from Pre-Calc or College Algebra.

One way:
  1. Intermed Algebra
  2. Geometry
  4. Pre-Calculus full semester course including Trigonometry
Other way:
  1. Intermed Algebra
  2. Geometry
  4. College Algebra full semester course
I would not recommend taking Geometry, primarily because virtually no colleges teach it -- the OP mentions that he/she is a CC student.

Mark44 said:
I would not recommend taking Geometry, primarily because virtually no colleges teach it -- the OP mentions that he/she is a CC student.
The reason why I list it is that it is still taught at community colleges to which I have checked, and that Geometry is listed as one of the prerequisites to Trigonometry. This is based on my own courses & prerequisites pathway, and the officially listed information from the local community colleges where I am familiar. This "Geometry" course is a remedial one when taken at a community college; but is considered "College Preparatory" when taken in high school.Used to be that the college-prep kids in high school would take Intro Algebra, Geometry, Intermed Algebra, and then "Mathematical Analysis" which would contain a large portion of Trigonometry.

My school does not offer geometry. With the new law passed, everyone's math placement is based on their high school transcript gpa. I excelled in everything else but math. In CC, I am doing great in my computer science and engineering courses, but haven't done math yet. I am nearly done with my CS & Engineering major prep in order to transfer, it's just math. I need Calc 1, 2, 3 & Intro Linear Algebra/Differential Equations. I will list the math courses up to Calc 1, in pre-requisite order below for more info. I can take all these courses if I want since I placed higher for math placement.
Math 10: Elementary Alg
Math 30: Intermed Alg
Math 45: Elementary/Intermed Alg
Math 90-93: Support for Lib Arts Math, College Algebra, Trig, Stats (*A concurrent class designed optionally for students to review pre req skills necessary for the class)
Math 115: College Algebra (There is also lib arts math, business calc, math for elem teachers and intro to stats)
Math 120: Trigonometry (One of the 5 above is needed as a PreReq)
Math 170: PreCalc
Math 180: Calc 1

According to your post #1 and post #8, your mathematics course pathway could be something like I listed but simply omitting the "Geometry" course (if truly your c.c. does not offer it, which is disappointing although still allows you to manage through your other courses).

symbolipoint said:
The reason why I list it is that it is still taught at community colleges to which I have checked, and that Geometry is listed as one of the prerequisites to Trigonometry. This is based on my own courses & prerequisites pathway, and the officially listed information from the local community colleges where I am familiar.
You're in a different state than I am, which is WA state. I haven't taught math in a CC since '97 (but am currently teaching computer science classes), and to the best of my knowledge, there were no geometry classes offered in any of the colleges or universities in my state.

symbolipoint said:
According to your post #1 and post #8, your mathematics course pathway could be something like I listed but simply omitting the "Geometry" course (if truly your c.c. does not offer it, which is disappointing although still allows you to manage through your other courses).
Mark44 said:
You're in a different state than I am, which is WA state. I haven't taught math in a CC since '97 (but am currently teaching computer science classes), and to the best of my knowledge, there were no geometry classes offered in any of the colleges or universities in my state.
That law or curriculum arrangement is more widespread than I thought. Just a quick check for the heckl of it shows or strongly gives the appearance that College of Western Idaho (a community college) has no Geometry either: https://cwi.edu/program/mathematics
(Look at the "What you will learn" section of the page).

If you have gaps in your understanding, whipping through courses as fast as you can is not a good way to fill them.

Likes symbolipoint
Zbaldridge said:
My professor advised me that I have "Algebra Issues".
Zbaldridge said:
My professor advised me to just take PreCalc again since it has a good mixture of the two, but I would rather take them both concurrently.
It's hard for us to give advice as we don't know you and what your algebra issues are. I think Dr. Courtney's advice is the best. Take some assessments to see where you should start.

@symbolipoint's recommendations seem like overkill to me. You've already muddled through the material at least once in high school, so you're not starting from zero. And your professor, who has seen your work, recommends taking pre-calc. Based on this, your idea of taking college algebra and trig during the summer might be workable. Of course, this depends on how good of a student you are, whether you can devote enough time and effort to the classes, etc.

Have you asked the math department or counselors at your school for advice? They'd be in a better position to answer your questions.

1. What is the difference between College Algebra and Trigonometry?

College Algebra is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of algebraic structures and equations, while Trigonometry is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of triangles and their properties.

2. Why are College Algebra and Trigonometry often taught together?

College Algebra and Trigonometry are often taught together because they are closely related and build upon each other. Many concepts in Trigonometry, such as trigonometric functions, involve algebraic equations and formulas. Therefore, having a strong foundation in College Algebra is essential for understanding Trigonometry.

3. Is it necessary to take College Algebra and Trigonometry at the same time?

It is not necessary to take College Algebra and Trigonometry at the same time, but it is recommended. Taking them simultaneously allows for a better understanding of the material and can save time in the long run.

4. What are some common topics covered in College Algebra and Trigonometry?

Some common topics covered in College Algebra and Trigonometry include algebraic equations and inequalities, functions and their graphs, trigonometric functions and identities, and right triangle trigonometry.

5. Are there any resources available to help with learning College Algebra and Trigonometry at the same time?

Yes, there are many resources available to help with learning College Algebra and Trigonometry simultaneously. These can include textbooks, online tutorials, practice problems, and study groups. It is also important to seek help from your instructor if you are struggling with any concepts.