Possible to skip College Algebra?

In summary, College Algebra is a review of Algebra 1 and 2 but goes into more depth. Depending on your major and the policies of your school, it may be possible to skip College Algebra if you have an A in Algebra 1 and 2. However, it is important to consider the content and whether it will be beneficial for your future courses, especially if you are majoring in physics. Skipping College Algebra may also require a placement test or approval from a dean. In some cases, it may be helpful to do a self-review of the material if you decide to skip the course.
Apple_Mango
I heard College Algebra is just a review of Algebra 2 but goes in depth more.

I was wondering if it's possible to skip College Algebra if a person has an A in Alg 1 and Alg 2?

Physics news on Phys.org
Probably depends on the school and what your major will be. If you are majoring in history then yeah you could probably skip it.

phinds said:
Probably depends on the school and what your major will be. If you are majoring in history then yeah you could probably skip it.
I'm interested in physics.

It may depend on the school. At my university, you take an ALEKS placement test and if you score high enough, you can skip College Algebra and get into Trigonometry or Calculus I. However I know a couple people that did this and regretted it as they thought they knew the material but didnt know it well enough and struggled.

Likes symbolipoint
My college just makes people take placement test if one wants to skip math courses.

However, I am just starting Alg 1 at college. I heard people saying how College Algebra is just a review of Alg 2 but more in depth. I see no reason to take College Algebra if it's just a review of Alg 2.

The "more in depth" part may be something to consider. Its ultimately up to you though. My school calls College Algebra and Trigonometry "PreCalculus" so that seems like something I would highly consider in preparing for Calculus. I am in both right now and I am glad I decided to not skip it. It can only help. Simce they are school specific, maybe talk to your advisor.

My school doesn't have pre-calculus. My school just has Trig and College Algebra. I wouldn't consider skipping Trig. I'll just take to my advisor after I finish Algebra 1.

I do not know what the contents of algebra 1 and algebra 2, or even College Algebra is.
Can you clarify?
I do expect that they will be leading up to more advanced abstract algebra (groups, rings, fields, permutations, modular arithmetic).
For physics I believe you will need a sufficient understanding of abstract algebra.

Yes that's what I am saying as well. Both the classes together comprise Pre Calculus. Which is something that sends a red flag of importance to me. This is just my view on it, but taking all courses labeled as Pre Calculus before taking Calculus are courses youll definitely find me in.

I like Serena said:
I do not know what the contents of algebra 1 and algebra 2, or even College Algebra is.
Can you clarify?
I do expect that they will be leading up to more advanced abstract algebra (groups, rings, fields, permutations, modular arithmetic).
For physics I believe you will need a sufficient understanding of abstract algebra.
Algebra 1 and Algebra 2 and College Algebra is a low level math class that people take in middle and high-school.

Last edited by a moderator:
Apple_Mango said:
Algebra 1 and Algebra 2 and College Algebra is a low level math class that people take in middle and high-school.

Ah okay. If Collega Algebra is just repeating what Algebra 1 and Algebra 2 already taught, it sounds skippable.
Let's just be clear that (Abstract) Algebra doesn't end there. There's more to learn, depending on how far you want to go with physics.

Here is what College Algebra is describe at my College description

72 hours lecture per term. This course is designed to prepare students for the study of calculus. The topics to be covered include review of the fundamentals of algebra, relations, functions, solutions of first- and second-degree equations and inequalities, systems of equations, matrices and determinants, binomial theorem, mathematical induction, polynomial functions, exponential and logarithmic functions, analytic geometry and conic sections, geometric and arithmetic sequences and series, and miscellaneous topics. Graphing calculators will be incorporated. This course may be taken prior to or concurrently with MATH 142 F. Both MATH 141 F or MATH 141HF and MATH 142 F are required for enrollment in MATH 151 F. (CSU) (UC Credit Limitation; MATH 141 F and MATH 129 F; maximum combined credit, one course) (Degree Credit) AA GE, CSU GE, IGETC

Might also mention that you could always do a self "refresher" if you find you don't know something when you get into whatever you skip into. Could save you time and money in not taking the class if you know most of the material anyways. I don't think there's a right or wrong answer here as everyone is different.

DS2C said:
Might also mention that you could always do a self "refresher" if you find you don't know something when you get into whatever you skip into. Could save you time and money in not taking the class if you know most of the material anyways. I don't think there's a right or wrong answer here as everyone is different.

There is no point in taking it if I already know it. Would you take Calculus 1 again label College Calculus 1 that which prepares you for Calculus 2? It sound silly.

My school is super strict on letting people skip courses. I have to talk to the math dean to skip classes.

Apple_Mango said:
Here is what College Algebra is describe at my College description

72 hours lecture per term. This course is designed to prepare students for the study of calculus. The topics to be covered include review of the fundamentals of algebra, relations, functions, solutions of first- and second-degree equations and inequalities, systems of equations, matrices and determinants, binomial theorem, mathematical induction, polynomial functions, exponential and logarithmic functions, analytic geometry and conic sections, geometric and arithmetic sequences and series, and miscellaneous topics. Graphing calculators will be incorporated. This course may be taken prior to or concurrently with MATH 142 F. Both MATH 141 F or MATH 141HF and MATH 142 F are required for enrollment in MATH 151 F. (CSU) (UC Credit Limitation; MATH 141 F and MATH 129 F; maximum combined credit, one course) (Degree Credit) AA GE, CSU GE, IGETC

And are you already familiar with those?
Looks like most of them will return in courses like Calculus, Linear Algebra, Discrete Mathematics, and Analysis.
For the record, these topics are not touching Abstract Algebra.

I like Serena said:
And are you already familiar with those?
Looks like most of them will return in courses like Calculus, Linear Algebra, Discrete Mathematics, and Analysis.
For the record, these topics are not touching Abstract Algebra.

No, I'm just taking Algebra 1 which is a class that middle-schoolers take.

Apple_Mango said:
No, I'm just taking Algebra 1 which is a class that middle-schoolers take.

Well, I can tell that you will definitely need to learn those topics sometime for physics.
I cannot judge how much of them you'll have learned by the time you get there.

Apple_Mango said:
My college just makes people take placement test if one wants to skip math courses.

So why not take the placement test and be done with it?

Apple_Mango said:
I heard College Algebra is just a review of Algebra 2 but goes in depth more.

I was wondering if it's possible to skip College Algebra if a person has an A in Alg 1 and Alg 2?
College Algebra and Algebra 2 are NOT the same course. College Algebra is more advanced, more thorough, and you may think of it like it could be called, "Algebra 3". You might not actually need College Algebra for prerequistie to Calculus 1, BUT IT HELPS. The reason for having the Pre-Calculus course combining College Algebra And Trigonometry is to prepare students who intend to enroll in Calculus 1, so that their algebra skills are more developed and so they have a good idea how Trigonometry works.

Likes DS2C
DS2C said:
Yes that's what I am saying as well. Both the classes together comprise Pre Calculus. Which is something that sends a red flag of importance to me. This is just my view on it, but taking all courses labeled as Pre Calculus before taking Calculus are courses youll definitely find me in.
GOOD!

All the students we've mentored or home schooled begin college math in Calculus. 95% of cadets at the Air Force Academy begin college math in Calculus. It all comes down to placement test scores, and in some cases the ACT. I would not doubt that anyone who can complete 90% or more on the ALEKS pie in precalc is ready for Calculus at most schools.

High school grades are meaningless. Too many gifted grades to trust high school grades as an indicator of readiness for anything.

Likes bhobba
symbolipoint said:
College Algebra and Algebra 2 are NOT the same course. College Algebra is more advanced, more thorough, and you may think of it like it could be called, "Algebra 3". You might not actually need College Algebra for prerequistie to Calculus 1, BUT IT HELPS. The reason for having the Pre-Calculus course combining College Algebra And Trigonometry is to prepare students who intend to enroll in Calculus 1, so that their algebra skills are more developed and so they have a good idea how Trigonometry works.

I am not in high-school. I am 23 years old interested in college. I could see your viewpoint how you are skeptical of high-school grades given that high-school isn't rigorous as college. For instance, many students pass Algebra one but have to retake the math again in college.

Apple_Mango said:
I am not in high-school. I am 23 years old interested in college. I could see your viewpoint how you are skeptical of high-school grades given that high-school isn't rigorous as college. For instance, many students pass Algebra one but have to retake the math again in college.

Try completing the ALEKS precalc pie. ALEKS does not know or care your age. If you can't do the algebra required of ALEKS precalc, you are not ready for calculus.

Dr. Courtney said:
Try completing the ALEKS precalc pie. ALEKS does not know or care your age. If you can't do the algebra required of ALEKS precalc, you are not ready for calculus.
I'm just starting Alg 1. I was asking this question for future references.

Apple_Mango said:
I'm just starting Alg 1. I was asking this question for future references.
Your path will be, then after finishing Algebra 1: Algebra 2, Geometry, Trigonometry, Pre-Calculus; and then Calculus 1. Sequence might be different, like Geometry, Algebra 2, Trigonometry, Pre-Calculus, Calculus 1. Either sequence can be good. One should not worry that Pre-Calculus also contain Trigonometry because the review will only be good to do.

symbolipoint said:
Your path will be, then after finishing Algebra 1: Algebra 2, Geometry, Trigonometry, Pre-Calculus; and then Calculus 1. Sequence might be different, like Geometry, Algebra 2, Trigonometry, Pre-Calculus, Calculus 1. Either sequence can be good. One should not worry that Pre-Calculus also contain Trigonometry because the review will only be good to do.
My school doesn't offer classes titled pre-calculus. The two courses at my college are trig and college algebra which is suppose to be the pre-calculus courses.

Apple_Mango said:
My school doesn't offer classes titled pre-calculus. The two courses at my college are trig and college algebra which is suppose to be the pre-calculus courses.
If that is the case at your school, then those are the courses you should study.

1. Is it really possible to skip College Algebra?

Yes, it is possible to skip College Algebra in certain situations. Some colleges and universities allow students to test out of College Algebra by taking a placement exam or showing proficiency in the subject through previous coursework.

2. What are the requirements to skip College Algebra?

The requirements to skip College Algebra vary depending on the institution. Some may require a certain score on a placement exam or a high school transcript showing completion of advanced math courses. It is best to check with the specific college or university for their requirements.

3. Will skipping College Algebra affect my major or future career?

Skipping College Algebra may have an impact on your major or future career, depending on your field of study. Some majors or careers may require a strong foundation in math, so it is important to consider this before deciding to skip the course. It is also important to make sure you have the necessary skills and understanding to succeed in more advanced math courses.

4. Can I skip College Algebra and still graduate on time?

Skipping College Algebra may affect your graduation timeline, as it is often a prerequisite for other math courses. If you are able to skip College Algebra, you may need to take additional courses in order to fulfill the math requirements for your degree. It is important to plan ahead and speak with an academic advisor to ensure you can still graduate on time.

5. Are there any alternatives to skipping College Algebra?

If you are not able to skip College Algebra, there may be alternative options. Some colleges and universities offer remedial or transitional math courses for students who may need extra support in math before taking College Algebra. Additionally, there may be opportunities to take College Algebra at a community college during the summer or online, which could potentially save time and money compared to taking the course at a four-year institution. It is best to explore all options and speak with an academic advisor for guidance.