1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Colliding Particles using energy

1. Jun 19, 2010 #1
    this question is from my previous assignment which was due 2 weeks back. just revising for mid-term not sure how to solve it. if someone explains it thoroughly it would be grate

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    An alpha particle is a nucleus of Helium. It has twice the charge and four times the mass of the proton.

A proton and an alpha particle headed directly toward each other, had each initial speed of 3.9×10−3 c when they were far away.

Here, as is customary when describing processes involving nuclear targets, the speed is expressed as a fraction of c, the speed of light.

What is the distance of closest approach between the proton and the alpha particle?

Hint: There are two conserved quantities. Make use of both.

2. Relevant equations
    U=Eqd or KqQ/r
    K=1/2*(mv^2)

3. The attempt at a solution

.5m(v_i)^2 + Eq(d_i)= .5m(v_f)^2 + Eq(d_f)

where (V_f)=0 then i solved for (d_f)
    and got the 1.87*10^-27 but the answer should be d_f=1.3*10^-13

could some 1 explain this to me and the reasoning!! please

Last edited: Jun 19, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 19, 2010 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

You are assuming that V_f = 0. Make use of the hint that you were given.

4. Jun 19, 2010 #3
    this question is from my previous assignment which was due 2 weeks back. just revising for mid-term not sure how to solve it. if someone explains it thoroughly it would be grate

5. Jun 19, 2010 #4

Doc Al

Why don't you make an attempt using the hints I just gave?

6. Jun 19, 2010 #5
    v_f is the final velocity , at minimum distance it can reach it will be zero.no?

7. Jun 19, 2010 #6

Doc Al

No it won't. Use the hint that the problem gave you! What else is conserved besides energy?

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook