1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Collision angle of deflection problem

1. Jan 6, 2006 #1
    I'm really stuck on this questions, I don't even know where to start, can anyone help me?

A particle of mass m1 and velocity v1 collides with a stationary mass m2. After the collision, the two masses are deflected as shown in the diagram. Show that the angle of deflection Angle2 of m2 is given by the formula:

See Attached for formula and diagram.

Physics DUD

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 6, 2006 #2

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I can't see the diagram yet, but I guaratee you that you start with the law of conservqation of momentum.

Momentum is conserved in the x-direction, and momentum is conserved in the y-direction.

Write a statement equating the total x-momentum before with teh total x-momentum after (using vector componants).

Write a second statement equating y-momentum before and after.

If you define the x-direction as the direction m1 is traveling, then the total y-momentum will be ... you know?
  4. Jan 6, 2006 #3
    The way that you do that is simple. Look at the momentum of the mass in the vertical and horizontal components. You should get two equations, all you do then is substitute one into the other (replacing v2 in the process). This should get you the required result.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?