1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

B Collision between moving walls

Tags:
  1. Jun 16, 2017 #1
    https://www.physicsforums.com/attac...5/?temp_hash=f9f8d75085046fd530ad1071794d65c1

I have problem with the solution given of the (b) part of the question.
    The given solution is :
    upload_2017-6-17_4-23-44.png

I did not understand why the value of ##\Delta T = 2x/v## even when ##\Delta T \to 0## ?
    Since if the time taken for collision reduces so does the distance between the wall and the ball and since velocity is constant. The value should be ##0##. No ?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 16, 2017 #2

jbriggs444

Science Advisor

The value of what should be zero? And why do you expect velocity to be constant?

4. Jun 16, 2017 #3
    Oh sorry, I mean the value of ##dv/dt## should be infinite.
    I expect the value to be constat because it is given in the question that the ball moves with a constant velocity.

5. Jun 16, 2017 #4

jbriggs444

Science Advisor

As I read the question, no such thing is given. The speed increases with each bounce.

6. Jun 16, 2017 #5
    If v was not constant then how does we got ##\Delta T = 2x/v## in the first place ?

7. Jun 16, 2017 #6

jbriggs444

Science Advisor

Because V << v and because v is increasing, it is a good approximation that gets better and better.

8. Jun 16, 2017 #7
    I am sorry, I did not follow how does velocity of wall has to do anything with the velocity of ball ? Can you elaborate on it please.

9. Jun 16, 2017 #8

jbriggs444

Science Advisor

The velocity of the ball changes at each bounce from a moving wall. How much it changes depends on V.

Also, how much x changes during a round trip depends on V.

10. Jun 16, 2017 #9
    I can buy that explanation.
    If I wanted to find accelaration of ball without doing all this. Is it possible ?

11. Jun 16, 2017 #10

jbriggs444

Science Advisor

I suspect that treating the ball as an ideal gas under adiabatic compression would work.

12. Jun 16, 2017 #11
    I intended to ask if there is some more mathematically accurate way to do this using mechanics.

Since you have mentioned, how should I go doing that ? I thought I will differentiate adiabatic work done but I don't know temperature, pressure and thing like that :((.

13. Jun 18, 2017 #12

sophiecentaur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

All what? It's a simple elastic collision situation at each bounce. This is the sort of situation that is built on in deriving the simple theory for the Gas Equations so I think it would be much easier to keep to simple Mechanics, rather than getting into thermodynamics.

14. Jun 18, 2017 #13
    I also don't like to use thermodynamics. But I want to know if there is a different way to solve this question using mechanics ?

15. Jun 19, 2017 #14

sophiecentaur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

As I said before, the gas laws can be derived using exactly the same idea of elastic collisions against the walls of a box. What more could you ask for? See this link and do some more searching. The Web is seething with information about the.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted