Collision between moving walls

In summary: As I said before, the gas laws can be derived using exactly the same idea of elastic collisions against the walls of a box. What more could you ask for? See this link and do some more searching. The Web is seething with information about the.
Buffu
https://www.physicsforums.com/attachments/upload_2017-6-17_4-22-26-png.205585/?temp_hash=f9f8d75085046fd530ad1071794d65c1

I have problem with the solution given of the (b) part of the question.
The given solution is :
upload_2017-6-17_4-23-44.png

I did not understand why the value of ##\Delta T = 2x/v## even when ##\Delta T \to 0## ?
Since if the time taken for collision reduces so does the distance between the wall and the ball and since velocity is constant. The value should be ##0##. No ?

Physics news on Phys.org
The value of what should be zero? And why do you expect velocity to be constant?

jbriggs444 said:
The value of what should be zero? And why do you expect velocity to be constant?
Oh sorry, I mean the value of ##dv/dt## should be infinite.
I expect the value to be constat because it is given in the question that the ball moves with a constant velocity.

Buffu said:
Oh sorry, I mean the value of ##dv/dt## should be infinite.
I expect the value to be constat because it is given in the question that the ball moves with a constant velocity.
As I read the question, no such thing is given. The speed increases with each bounce.

jbriggs444 said:
As I read the question, no such thing is given. The speed increases with each bounce.

If v was not constant then how does we got ##\Delta T = 2x/v## in the first place ?

Buffu said:
If v was not constant then how does we got ##\Delta T = 2x/v## in the first place ?
Because V << v and because v is increasing, it is a good approximation that gets better and better.

jbriggs444 said:
Because V << v and because v is increasing, it is a good approximation that gets better and better.
I am sorry, I did not follow how does velocity of wall has to do anything with the velocity of ball ? Can you elaborate on it please.

Buffu said:
I am sorry, I did not follow how does velocity of wall has to do anything with the velocity of ball ? Can you elaborate on it please.
The velocity of the ball changes at each bounce from a moving wall. How much it changes depends on V.

Also, how much x changes during a round trip depends on V.

Likes Buffu
jbriggs444 said:
The velocity of the ball changes at each bounce from a moving wall. How much it changes depends on V.

Also, how much x changes during a round trip depends on V.

I can buy that explanation.
If I wanted to find accelaration of ball without doing all this. Is it possible ?

Buffu said:
I can buy that explanation.
If I wanted to find accelaration of ball without doing all this. Is it possible ?
I suspect that treating the ball as an ideal gas under adiabatic compression would work.

jbriggs444 said:
I suspect that treating the ball as an ideal gas under adiabatic compression would work.

I intended to ask if there is some more mathematically accurate way to do this using mechanics.

Since you have mentioned, how should I go doing that ? I thought I will differentiate adiabatic work done but I don't know temperature, pressure and thing like that :((.

Buffu said:
If I wanted to find accelaration of ball without doing all this.
All what? It's a simple elastic collision situation at each bounce. This is the sort of situation that is built on in deriving the simple theory for the Gas Equations so I think it would be much easier to keep to simple Mechanics, rather than getting into thermodynamics.

sophiecentaur said:
All what? It's a simple elastic collision situation at each bounce. This is the sort of situation that is built on in deriving the simple theory for the Gas Equations so I think it would be much easier to keep to simple Mechanics, rather than getting into thermodynamics.

I also don't like to use thermodynamics. But I want to know if there is a different way to solve this question using mechanics ?

Buffu said:
I also don't like to use thermodynamics. But I want to know if there is a different way to solve this question using mechanics ?
As I said before, the gas laws can be derived using exactly the same idea of elastic collisions against the walls of a box. What more could you ask for? See this link and do some more searching. The Web is seething with information about the.

1. What is a collision between moving walls?

A collision between moving walls is a phenomenon that occurs when two walls or objects in motion come into contact with each other.

2. How do you calculate the force of a collision between moving walls?

The force of a collision between moving walls can be calculated using the formula F = m * v, where F is the force, m is the mass of the object, and v is the velocity.

3. What factors affect the outcome of a collision between moving walls?

The outcome of a collision between moving walls is affected by factors such as the mass and velocity of the objects, the angle of collision, and the elasticity of the walls.

4. Can a collision between moving walls result in a perfectly elastic collision?

Yes, a collision between moving walls can result in a perfectly elastic collision if there is no loss of kinetic energy during the collision. This means that the objects will bounce off each other with the same speed and direction as before the collision.

5. How can the energy of a collision between moving walls be conserved?

The energy of a collision between moving walls can be conserved by ensuring that there is no loss of kinetic energy during the collision. This can be achieved by using materials with high elasticity or by minimizing the friction between the walls.