Collision of multiple particles

In summary, the individual is seeking help in solving a collision problem involving multiple particles. They have attempted to solve it using a method applicable for two particle collisions, but it needs adjustments. They plan to conserve momentum for the entire system and make adjustments before continuing.
coldblood
Hi friends,
I have an issue in solving a Collision of multiple particles.
Please Help me in solving this.
Thank you all in advance.

The problem is as:

https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-frc3/q71/s720x720/1395304_1432383000322139_406785433_n.jpg

Attempt:

https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn2/q81/s720x720/1380665_1432380623655710_1216390070_n.jpg

Friends according to me the answer should be e = 1, which is not any option and question says answer is 2/3 which is Option (a). Please try to help me in this.
I will appreciate the help.

Physics news on Phys.org
coldblood said:
Hi friends,
I have an issue in solving a Collision of multiple particles.
Please Help me in solving this.
Thank you all in advance.

The problem is as:

https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-frc3/q71/s720x720/1395304_1432383000322139_406785433_n.jpg

Attempt:

https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn2/q81/s720x720/1380665_1432380623655710_1216390070_n.jpg

Friends according to me the answer should be e = 1, which is not any option and question says answer is 2/3 which is Option (a). Please try to help me in this.
I will appreciate the help.
The method you applied is applicable for two particle collision only. You'll need to do adjustments before applying this method.

NihalSh said:
The method you applied is applicable for two particle collision only. You'll need to do adjustments before applying this method.

Well if I'll conserve momentum for the whole system there would be two lines of imapact.
Ok first I'll do some adjustment in that and then will continue.

What is a collision of multiple particles?

A collision of multiple particles refers to the physical interaction between two or more particles, where they come into contact and exchange energy and/or momentum.

What factors affect the outcome of a collision between multiple particles?

The outcome of a collision between multiple particles is affected by various factors such as the mass, velocity, and direction of the particles, as well as the type of force acting between them.

How can the outcome of a collision between multiple particles be predicted?

The outcome of a collision between multiple particles can be predicted using mathematical equations and principles such as momentum and energy conservation, as well as knowledge of the particles' initial conditions and properties.

What are the different types of collisions between multiple particles?

There are two main types of collisions between multiple particles: elastic collisions, where kinetic energy is conserved, and inelastic collisions, where kinetic energy is lost due to the particles sticking together or deforming upon impact.

What are some real-world applications of studying collisions between multiple particles?

Studying collisions between multiple particles has many real-world applications, such as understanding the behavior of atoms and molecules in chemical reactions, predicting the outcome of collisions between particles in particle accelerators, and analyzing the impact of collisions in car accidents or sports injuries.