1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Collision of the Halley asteroid with a comet

Tags:
  1. Nov 3, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement

a comet gets in the way of the Halley asteroid, so the question is: what's the new trajectory of the asteroid (its excentricity, its orbital rotation and it perihelion, aphelion)

both objects have same mass and we suppose that the comet have an negilgeable initial velocity.

all variables and given/known data

what we know is :both objects have same mass M=2.2*10^14 kg

the coefficient of restitution during collision is: 0.5

orbital period of Halley's asteroid: T=75.3 years
    initial perihelion: 0.586 AU

initial excentricity: 0.967

2. Relevant equations

the kepler third law

conservation of angular momentum
    relation between energy and excentricity equation and trajectory of asteroid are attached

3. The attempt at a solution

my attempts are to use the conservation of energy and angular momentum but i didn't know how to get the parameters of the trajectory from.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 3, 2013 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

The object is called Halley's comet, and it is a comet, not an asteroid. Well, does not matter for the problem.

Is there a sketch provided? Where does the collision occur? The answer will depend on that.

Kinetic energy is not conserved in the collision.

4. Nov 3, 2013 #3

yes my fault it is Halley's comet and the asteroid is in the way of Halley's comet is explained by the joint image.
    thnx

Attached Files:

• jj.png
      jj.png
      File size:
      37.8 KB
      Views:
  5. Nov 4, 2013 #4

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

The given angle looks like the collision is supposed to be elastic - very unrealistic.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted