1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Collision of thermal neutrons and Cobalt

1. May 26, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The cross section of ##^{59}Co## for capturing the thermal neutrons is ##2000 fm^2##. A ##10g##, thin paper of ##^{59}Co## is radiated for ##100 hours## in reactor with neutron flux ##2\cdot 10^{18} /m^2s##. Density of ##^{59}Co## is ##8.9g/cm^3##. Half life time of ##^{60}Co## is ##5.2 years##.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

So what happens is ##n+##^{59}Co##->^{60}Co## which than decays with ##t_{1/2}=5.2 years##.

Well, the number of successful collisions is ##dN=\frac{NN_{59}\sigma }{S}## and dividing that by ##dt## gives me ##\frac{dN}{dt}=jN_{59}\sigma ##.

Of course, some of the ##^{60}Co## will immediately start to decay, therefore:

##\frac{dN}{dt}=jN_{59}\sigma -\frac{N}{\tau }##

Solving this differential equations using ##N=C+Ae^{-t/\tau }##

Leaves me with ##N=\tau (jN_{59}\sigma -1)(1-e^{-t\tau })## where ##t/\tau <<1## so

##\frac{N}{t}=jN_{59}\sigma -1= 2.4\cdot 10^{16}Bq## instead of ##6\cdot 10^{11}Bq##.

Note that ##N_{59}=\frac{mN_a}{M}##.

Why is this wrong? :(

2. jcsd
  3. May 26, 2014 #2
    You're solution seems correct. I'm not sure why you say it's wrong.

4. May 27, 2014 #3
    Basically the only reason why I think this method is wrong is because the "official" result is ##6\cdot 10^{11}Bq##

I also remembered that I could take into account here ##\frac{dN}{dt}=jN_{59}\sigma -\frac{N}{\tau }## that already excited ##^{60}Co## can't get even more exited. Therefore the more exact solution would follow from inserting that ##N_{59}=N_{59}^0-N##

Of course "official" results can be wrong too so if you agree with my solution and if nobody else will complain than I think it is safe to assume that what I did is ok.

5. May 27, 2014 #4

phyzguy

Science Advisor

Your solution is incorrect. If you determine the constants C and A correctly, you will find:
    [tex] N = \tau j N_{59} \sigma (1-e^{\frac{t}{\tau}})[/tex]
    Then, as you said, t<<τ, so:
    [tex] N = \tau j N_{59} \sigma {\frac{t}{\tau}} = t j N_{59} \sigma [/tex]
    This makes sense, since at early times the activity increases linearly with time. So the activity N/τ is:
    [tex] \frac{N}{\tau} = \frac{t}{\tau} j N_{59} \sigma [/tex]

It is this factor of t/τ that you omitted. When you plug in the numbers, you do in fact get 6E11 Becquerels.

6. May 27, 2014 #5

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

Where one wrote N/t, it should be N/τ (where τ is tau = 1/λ), lambda = decay constant, and tau is the mean lifetime.

7. May 27, 2014 #6
    Ah, of course!

Thanks to all of you!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted