1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Collision of two photons using four-momentum

1. Nov 25, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Two photon of energy ##E_1 ## and ## E_2## collide with their trajectory at an angle $\theta$ with respect to each other.
    a) Total four-momentum before collision?
    b) square length of 4-momentum in lab frame (LB)and in center of momentum frame (CM)?
    c) 4-momentum of two photon system in CM?
    d) After photons annihilate they form two identical particle with mass m. what can we say about the spatial components of their 4-momentum in CM?
    e) requirement of this process is that ##\sqrt{E_1E_2}\geq E_{min}##. find ##E_{min}## in terms of rest energy of particles and angle ##\theta##.

2. Relevant equations
    -Conservation of Energy
    -Conservation of Momentum
    -For a photon square of 4-momentum is zero (light like particle)

3. The attempt at a solution

Attempt at Answer:(assuming without loss of generality that particle 1 is moving in + x direction and the whole motion is in x-y plane)
    a)
    - The initial momentum for each particle is:
    $$p^{\mu}_1=(E_1, E_1,0,0) \\ p^{\mu}_2=(E_2,-E_2cos\theta,E_2sin\theta,0) \\$$
    hence the total initial momentum is: $$p^{\mu}_T=(E_1+E_2,E_1-E_2cos\theta,E_2sin\theta,0)$$
    b)
    - squared length of 4-momentum in lab frame (LB): $$(p_{T\mu}p^{\mu}_T)_{LB}=(E_1+E_2)^2- (E_1-E_2cos\theta)^2-(E_2sin\theta)^2=2E_1E_2(1+cos\theta)$$
    - square 4-momentum in COM = square length of 4-momentum in LB (** is it right??!!):
    $$(p_{T\mu}p^{\mu}_T)_{LB}=(p_{T\mu}p^{\mu}_T)_{COM}=2E_1E_2(1+cos\theta)$$
    c)
    Now to find the momentum in COM I use the above fact that square of the total four momentum is invariant under frame transformation (again is it right!!) and combining this with the fact that the square of 4-momentum of photon is zero we get:
    $$p^{\mu}_{1(COM)}=(E',E'_x,E'_y,0)\\p^{\mu}_{2(COM)}=(E',-E'_x,-E'_y,0)$$
    -So the total 4-momentum in COM is:
    $$p^{\mu}_{T(COM)}=(2E',0,0,0)$$
    squaring it and equating to square of total 4-momentum in COM, gives: $$E'^2=\frac{E_1E_2}{2}(1+cos\theta)=E_1E_2cos^2{\frac{\theta}{2}}$$
    As I have the magnitude and I know that $$E'^2_x+E'^2_y=E_1E_2cos^2{\frac{\theta}{2}}$$
    its evident that the two components will have the following form:$$E'_x=\sqrt{E_1E_2}\cos{\frac{\theta}{2}}\cos{\theta'}\\E'_y=\sqrt{E_1E_2} \cos{\frac{\theta}{2}} \sin{\theta'}$$
    but here I face a problem. I still don't know $$\theta'$$
    Any help or hint is appreciated. Thank you so much for your time.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 25, 2015 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

I don't think θ was meant in the way you used it. Two photons moving in the same direction should correspond to θ=0, not θ=pi.
    Right.

You can calculate θ' based on the 4-vector of the two-photon system in your lab system.

4. Nov 26, 2015 #3
    Can we use the Lorentz boost ti find it? I mean looking for a transformation that makes the spatial components of the total four momentum vanish?

5. Nov 27, 2015 #4

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

You don't need to know or find ##\theta'## to solve the problem. You already wrote down the four-momentum of the two-photon system in the COM frame — (2E', 0, 0, 0) — and you used the answer for part (d) in your calculations — the three-momentum of the particles are equal in magnitude and opposite in direction.

6. Nov 27, 2015 #5
    Then how do we do we solve the last part (part d), I thought i was gonna need it for determining the minimum energy.

7. Nov 27, 2015 #6
    Thank you so much I have found it. it will be as following:
    the four momentum of system after the collision and creation of two identical particle will be:
    $$p^{\mu}_T=(2 \gamma mc,0,0,0)$$
    now using $$\gamma=1$$ and using the invariance of the square of the total momentum in a reaction we get to the following for minimum energy:
    $$\frac{4E_1E_2}{c^2}\geq4m^2c^2 $$ hence $$\sqrt{E_1E_2}\geq\frac{mc^2}{cos\frac{\theta}{2}}$$

have I missed anything?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted