Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Collision problem using vectors

1. Dec 28, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Two particles are moving on trajectories given by r=a+ut and r=b+vt respectively where a, b, u and v are constant vectors and t is the time. Show that the particles will collide if v.(bxu)=v.(axu) Obtain an expression for the time of the collision in terms of a, b, u and v. (I think I've done the parts so far.) Hence, or otherwise, show that the collision will take place at position r=b+((a.(bxu))/(v.(bxu))v

2. Relevant equations

If three vectors a, b, c are linearly dependent, a.(bxc)=o

3. The attempt at a solution

a+ut=b+vt
    ut=(b-a)+vt
    ut, vt, and b-a are coplanar. Since t is a scalar multiple, u, v, and b-a are coplanar.
    v.((b-a)xu)=0
    v.(bxu-axu)=o
    v.(bxu)=v.(axu)

ut-vt=b-a
    (u-v)t=b-a
    t=mod(b-a)/mod(u-v)

I can't see how this expression for to is equivalent to ((a.(bxu))/(v.(bxu)), so I'm stuck.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 28, 2011 #2
    Any suggestions would be great. :)

4. Dec 28, 2011 #3

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Ok, here's a sample of how to do it. I haven't worked through the permutations to show that the answer is what same as what the book gives but here's a start.

(u-v)t=(b-a)

cross both sides with a, so,

(uxa-vxa)t=(bxa)

Now we want to turn both sides into scalars so we can divide, let's dot with v.

((uxa).v-(vxa).v))t=(bxa).v

(vxa).v=0 so,

(uxa).v)t=(bxa).v, hence,

t=((bxa).v)/((uxa).v). Now use cyclic permutations and the result from the first part to turn that into the books answer, if you can. You might. I'm not sure. I haven't chased it that far yet. Nor am I sure the book answer is even right. I haven't checked that either.

5. Dec 28, 2011 #4

ehild

Homework Helper

Start to cross both sides with u instead:
    -(uxv)t=(uxb)-(uxa),

then dot product with a :

-a(uxv)t=a(uxb)

as (uxa) is perpendicular to a. The triple products are scalars, so

t=-a(uxb)/a(uxv)=a(bxu)/a(uxv).

You need to change the denominator to v(bxu) by cyclical permutation of the vectors and using the condition v.(bxu)=v.(axu)

ehild

6. Dec 28, 2011 #5

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yeah, I figured there was some permutation of those things that would work. But I was kind of hoping Lucy Yeats would figure it out instead.

7. Dec 29, 2011 #6

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Instead of dotting with v, dot with u.

I.E. look at:
    [itex]((\vec{u}\times\vec{a})\cdot\vec{u}-(\vec{x}\times\vec{a})\cdot\vec{u})t=(\vec{b} \times\vec{a})\cdot\vec{u}[/itex]​
    Of course, [itex](\vec{u}\times\vec{a})\cdot\vec{u}=0[/itex]

Added in Edit:

I must have been asleep (as in not paying attention) when ehild made this same suggestion!
    Sorry about that !

Last edited: Dec 29, 2011
  8. Dec 29, 2011 #7

ehild

Homework Helper

Sorry Dick. But you directed the OP to a more difficult way than necessary, and I did not say more than you.

ehild

Last edited: Dec 29, 2011
  9. Dec 29, 2011 #8

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Just trying to explain why I was being too lazy to work out the exact solution.

10. Dec 29, 2011 #9

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

BTW:

The condition v.(bxu)=v.(axu), can be obtained in a similar manner. Start with
    [itex]\vec{a}+\vec{u}t=\vec{b}+\vec{v}t[/itex]​
    Cross that with vector [itex]\vec{u}[/itex] then dot that with vector [itex]\vec{v}\,.[/itex]

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook