1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Collision problem using vectors

1. Dec 28, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Two particles are moving on trajectories given by r=a+ut and r=b+vt respectively where a, b, u and v are constant vectors and t is the time. Show that the particles will collide if v.(bxu)=v.(axu) Obtain an expression for the time of the collision in terms of a, b, u and v. (I think I've done the parts so far.) Hence, or otherwise, show that the collision will take place at position r=b+((a.(bxu))/(v.(bxu))v

2. Relevant equations

If three vectors a, b, c are linearly dependent, a.(bxc)=o

3. The attempt at a solution

a+ut=b+vt
    ut=(b-a)+vt
    ut, vt, and b-a are coplanar. Since t is a scalar multiple, u, v, and b-a are coplanar.
    v.((b-a)xu)=0
    v.(bxu-axu)=o
    v.(bxu)=v.(axu)

ut-vt=b-a
    (u-v)t=b-a
    t=mod(b-a)/mod(u-v)

I can't see how this expression for to is equivalent to ((a.(bxu))/(v.(bxu)), so I'm stuck.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 28, 2011 #2
    Any suggestions would be great. :)

4. Dec 28, 2011 #3

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Ok, here's a sample of how to do it. I haven't worked through the permutations to show that the answer is what same as what the book gives but here's a start.

(u-v)t=(b-a)

cross both sides with a, so,

(uxa-vxa)t=(bxa)

Now we want to turn both sides into scalars so we can divide, let's dot with v.

((uxa).v-(vxa).v))t=(bxa).v

(vxa).v=0 so,

(uxa).v)t=(bxa).v, hence,

t=((bxa).v)/((uxa).v). Now use cyclic permutations and the result from the first part to turn that into the books answer, if you can. You might. I'm not sure. I haven't chased it that far yet. Nor am I sure the book answer is even right. I haven't checked that either.

5. Dec 28, 2011 #4

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Start to cross both sides with u instead:
    -(uxv)t=(uxb)-(uxa),

then dot product with a :

-a(uxv)t=a(uxb)

as (uxa) is perpendicular to a. The triple products are scalars, so

t=-a(uxb)/a(uxv)=a(bxu)/a(uxv).

You need to change the denominator to v(bxu) by cyclical permutation of the vectors and using the condition v.(bxu)=v.(axu)

ehild

6. Dec 28, 2011 #5

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yeah, I figured there was some permutation of those things that would work. But I was kind of hoping Lucy Yeats would figure it out instead.

7. Dec 29, 2011 #6

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Instead of dotting with v, dot with u.

I.E. look at:
    [itex]((\vec{u}\times\vec{a})\cdot\vec{u}-(\vec{x}\times\vec{a})\cdot\vec{u})t=(\vec{b} \times\vec{a})\cdot\vec{u}[/itex]​
    Of course, [itex](\vec{u}\times\vec{a})\cdot\vec{u}=0[/itex]

Added in Edit:

I must have been asleep (as in not paying attention) when ehild made this same suggestion!
    Sorry about that !

Last edited: Dec 29, 2011
  8. Dec 29, 2011 #7

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Sorry Dick. But you directed the OP to a more difficult way than necessary, and I did not say more than you.

ehild

Last edited: Dec 29, 2011
  9. Dec 29, 2011 #8

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Just trying to explain why I was being too lazy to work out the exact solution.

10. Dec 29, 2011 #9

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

BTW:

The condition v.(bxu)=v.(axu), can be obtained in a similar manner. Start with
    [itex]\vec{a}+\vec{u}t=\vec{b}+\vec{v}t[/itex]​
    Cross that with vector [itex]\vec{u}[/itex] then dot that with vector [itex]\vec{v}\,.[/itex]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook