1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Collisions -- conceptual questions

1. Apr 6, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Let two particles of equal mass m collide. Particle 1 has initial velocity v, directed to the right, and particle 2 is initially stationary.

A: If the collision is elastic, what are the final velocities v_1 and v_2 of particles 1 and 2?

B: Now assume that the mass of particle 1 is 2m, while the mass of particle 2 remains m. If the collision is elastic, what are the final velocities v_1 and v_2 of particles 1 and 2?

2. Relevant equations
    i:
    mv_1 + mv_2 = mv
    ii: 0.5m(v_1)^2 + 0.5m(v_2)^2 = 0.5mv^2
    iii: 2mv_1 + mv_2 = 2mv
    iv: 0.5(2m)(v_1)^2 + 0.5m(v_2)^2 = 0.5(2m)v^2

3. The attempt at a solution
    For A, after factoring out m and rearranging equation i to solve for v_2 I replaced v_2 in equation i with v_2 = (v - v_1) to yield:
    v_1 + v_2 = v_1 + (v - v_1) = v_1 - v_1 + v = v, therefore
    v = v.

I guessed (correctly) that v_1 = 0 and v_2 = v, but I'm not sure how I can find those answers using this equation.

It's the same thing with part B.

I tried rearranging the kinetic energy equations ii and iv for both parts A and B but still came out with such useless results as v^2 = v^2.

Why does particle 1 in part A transfer all of its momentum to particle 2?

Last edited: Apr 6, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 6, 2017 #2

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Substitute v_2 = (v - v_1) into the energy equation.

Again, use both equations, momentum and energy. Express v_2 with v_1 from the momentum equation and substitute into the energy equation.
    It is the solution of the system of equation i and ii.

4. Apr 9, 2017 #3
    That makes sense, thanks!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted