Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Coloumb's constant and the Gravitational constant

1. Jun 1, 2010 #1
    I'm trying to learn more about the differences and similarities b/w electrostatics and gravitation. Ke and G seem structurally similar, but while Ke can be broken down into 1 / 4 pi Epsilon0, I was wondering if there is a similar sub-structure for G? Is there any unit in gravitation analogous to Epsilon0 such that it makes sense to write 1/ 4 pi (constant here) = G?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 1, 2010 #2
    Factoring Ke as 17(4 pi epsilon0) is matter of convenience. This way Gauss' law takes a simple form. However the physical meaning is the same. On the other hand, there's no need to break down G to simplify some equation

4. Jun 1, 2010 #3
    Seems like we just answered this a few days ago with no response from the poster...
    https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=405175
    ...are you the same poster?

5. Jun 1, 2010 #4
    Nope, but thanks for the link. It looks like that particular poster seems to think that G can be derived. I'm aware that G is an empirical constant. What I was curious about was whether there was a more fundamental (albeit still empirical) constant inside of G that had the same relation to G that Epsilon0 has to Ke. But either way, the thread you're pointing me to clarifies that pretty well, and it does seem like there's a special case in GR where there is an "Epsilon (g)" as you point out. And in that case it seems it's reversed, where G has the same relationship to another constant e(g) that Epsilon0 has to Ke. Anyway, learning...

6. Jun 1, 2010 #5
    Hi diagopod;
    Historically, there have been a number of attempts at analytic expressions for G which usually reflect an attempt to unify EM and gravitation.
    Here's a good review of some... http://www.konfluence.org/CalculatingG.pdf

Personally, if forced to choose, I favor Sakharov.

Creator

Last edited: Jun 1, 2010
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook