1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Column Space of Matrix A and ref(A)

1. Nov 27, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Given a matrix A. So I can reduce A to ref(A). Let's say in ref(A), the columns that contain leading ones are column 1, 3, and 5. True or false:
    (a) Columns 1, 3, and 5 from ref(A) form the column space of ref(A).
    (b) The corresponding column 1, 3, and 5 from the original matrix A form the column space of matrix A.
    (c) Columns 1, 3, and 5 from ref(A) form the column space of the matrix A.
    (d) The corresponding column 1, 3, and 5 from the original matrix A form the column space of ref(A).

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    (a) and (b) are straight forward and hence, both are true. I think (c) is false. Not sure about (d) though.

For (c), I have a specific counter example. I have column space of ref(A) is something like {[1 0 0 0], [0 1 0 0], [0 0 1 0]}, whereas the column space of the original matrix A is {[1 3 2 -1], [-2 2 3 2], [3 1 2 4]}. Notice that the 4th entry for the space spanned by ref(A) will always be 0, but it's possible to have a non-zero value for the space spanned by the column space, if the answers are taken from the original matrix A.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 27, 2012 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

When we say that "vectors a, b, and c form as subspace", we mean that they make span the space. Of course, there may be manysets of vectors that span the same subspace. The important fact here is that the column space of A and the coumn space of ref(A) are the same.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook