Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Combination of 3 springs at given angles

1. Jan 26, 2010 #1
    Three springs of spring constant kare connected to a body of mass m and rigid supports, so that the angles are
    A 90 degrees between two and 135 degrees between each of these two and the third.
    B 120 degrees between any 2 adjacent ones.
    Find time period of vibration.
    I worked out a method to solve this question. I added 2 of the spring constants vectorially, first dividing each by the cos of half of the angle between them (45 and 60 degrees) and the third simply as k to get a net spring constant. This gave a correct answer but I don't remember what logic I used and it may not have been correct. Could someone show me the correct solution?
    diagram
    http://i898.photobucket.com/albums/ac182/watermlon/df.jpg

Last edited: Jan 26, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 4, 2010 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Welcome to PF!

Hi watermlon! Welcome to PF! :smile:

What matters is the components of force in each direction.

If the extension vectors are x y and z (these are not coordinate directions), then the forces are k1x + k2y + k3z

in this case, k1 = k2 = k3 = k,

so the total force is k(x + y + z), and you correctly took components along an axis of symmetry (the total of components along the perpendicular axis would be zero). :wink:

4. Feb 6, 2010 #3
    Thanks, tim. I understand it now.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook