Glass prism and its refractive index

In summary, the conversation discusses the angles and calculations involved in finding the refractive index of a prism. The prism is an equilateral triangle with angles of 60°. Using Snell's law, the refractive index is found to be 1.628, which is plausible for glass. For the second part, the symmetry principle is used to find the refractive index.
orangephysik
Homework Statement
A prism made from glass with a refractive index of n has the form of an equilateral triangle. A light ray is directed to one side of the prism with has an angle of α = 24.5° to the ground. You observe that the light ray inside the prism travels parallel to the ground.

a) Calculate the refractive index n.
b) Find the angle at which the ray leaves the prism and find β.
Relevant Equations
Snell's law: n_1*sin(m) = n_2 * sin(n)
All angles inside of a triangle sum up to 180°
Properties of equilateral triangles and isosceles triangles
Hi, I've attached the photo of the diagram, a photo of my drawings on the diagram.

for a): Since the prism is an equalateral triangle, all angles inside the prism is 60°. This means the angle adjacent to α is 180° - 60° = 120°, which means the last angle is 180° - 24.5° - 120° = 35.5°. The smaller triangle within the prism is an isosceles triangle, and by intuition the angle in the middle is 120° and the two angles on the sides are 30°.

Now with snell's law, n_vacuum * sin(γ_1) = n * sin(30°) and γ_1 = 90° - 35.5° 54.5°.
Plugging these values in, I got n = 1.628.

Is this correct? I thought the solution is plausible since the refractive index of a glass is usually around 1.5.

and for b) I just used the equation from snell's law again, n * sin(30°) = n_vacuum * sin(γ_2).

Attachments

• physik optik diagramm.PNG
    physik optik diagramm.PNG
    4.4 KB · Views: 53
  • physik optik  ii.jpeg
    physik optik ii.jpeg
    21.6 KB · Views: 50
Physics news on Phys.org
It looks correct to me=a google shows flint glass can have n=1.63. Perhaps that is what they use for the prism.
For part (b), you can simply apply symmetry principles.

Likes orangephysik

1. What is a glass prism?

A glass prism is a transparent solid object with flat surfaces that are angled and joined together to form a triangular shape. It is commonly used to refract light and split it into its component colors.

2. How does a glass prism refract light?

A glass prism refracts light by causing it to change direction as it passes through the prism. This is due to the difference in the speed of light in air and in glass, causing the light to bend at the surfaces of the prism.

3. What is the refractive index of a glass prism?

The refractive index of a glass prism is a measure of how much the speed of light is reduced when passing through the prism. It is typically between 1.3 and 1.7, depending on the type of glass used.

4. How is the refractive index of a glass prism measured?

The refractive index of a glass prism is measured by using a refractometer, which measures the angle at which light is bent as it passes through the prism. This angle is then used to calculate the refractive index.

5. What factors can affect the refractive index of a glass prism?

The refractive index of a glass prism can be affected by several factors, including the type of glass used, the temperature of the prism, and the wavelength of the light passing through it. It can also be affected by impurities or imperfections in the glass.