Combinatorics Class - Sum Question

In summary: GluYXJ5LCBcbm5vcm1hbCBjYW4gZm9ybSB0aGUgZm9ybWF0OiBJbnN0YW5jZSBuIGRldmVsb3Bpbmcg\sum\limits^n_{i=0} \frac{1}{i!(n-i)!}In summary, the given problem asks to determine the sum of a series involving factorials and binomial coefficients. The attempt at a solution involves recognizing a familiar pattern and using a hint to find the sum. The final answer must be in terms of n alone, and the sum is still involved in the solution.
theRukus

Homework Statement

For any positive integer n determine:

[itex]\sum\limits^n_{i=0} \frac{1}{i!(n-i)!}[/itex]

Homework Equations

I don't really know where to start.. Up until this point we've just been doing permutations, combinations, and determining the coefficient of a certain term in the expansion of a polynomial. There aren't any examples like this question in the text, and so I am unsure as to what sort of an answer they are looking for... Are they just looking for a general formula (not a sum) for the answer, with n as a variable? Cheers for any direction!

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Hint: does this look familiar?

[tex]\frac{n!}{i!(n-i)!}[/tex]

So the answer I'm looking for is

[itex]\frac{\dbinom{n}{i}}{n!}[/itex]

Correct?

Or will it be

[itex]\sum\limits^n_{i=0} \dfrac{\dbinom{n}{i}}{n!}[/itex]

I'm confused as to whether the sum is still involved.

you should find the following sum:

[itex] \frac{1}{n!}*\sum \frac{n!}{i! (n-1)!} [/itex]

theRukus said:
Or will it be

[itex]\sum\limits^n_{i=0} \dfrac{\dbinom{n}{i}}{n!}[/itex]

I'm confused as to whether the sum is still involved.

Of course the sum is still involved. The final answer must be in terms of n alone: it cannot contain "i", since all values of i have been summed over. Anyway, just multiplying and dividing by n! does not magically get rid of the sum.

RGV

1. What is combinatorics and how is it related to mathematics?

Combinatorics is a branch of mathematics that deals with counting and arranging objects or elements in a systematic way. It is used to solve problems related to combinations, permutations, and arrangements.

2. What is a sum question in combinatorics class?

A sum question in combinatorics class is a problem that involves finding the sum of a set of numbers or terms. It can also refer to a question that requires finding the number of ways to combine or arrange elements to achieve a certain total.

3. What are some common techniques used to solve sum questions in combinatorics?

Some common techniques used to solve sum questions in combinatorics include the multiplication principle, the addition principle, and the use of combinations and permutations formulas. Other techniques include using visual aids, such as tables and diagrams, and breaking the problem into smaller, more manageable parts.

4. Can you give an example of a sum question in combinatorics and how to solve it?

One example of a sum question in combinatorics is: How many different ways can 5 students be chosen from a class of 10 students for a project group? The solution to this problem involves using the combination formula nCr = n! / (r!(n-r)!), where n is the total number of students (10) and r is the number of students chosen for the project group (5). Plugging in the numbers, we get 10C5 = 10! / (5!(10-5)!) = 252. Therefore, there are 252 different ways to choose 5 students from a class of 10 students for a project group.

5. What are the real-world applications of combinatorics and sum questions?

Combinatorics and sum questions have many real-world applications, including in computer science, statistics, finance, and engineering. They are used to solve problems related to probability, counting, and optimization, and can be applied to areas such as data analysis, network design, and coding theory.