Combinatorics problem: poker hand

In summary, the question is asking for the number of straight poker hands (not including straight flushes) from a deck of 51 cards with the queen of spades missing, where the ace can be considered high or low. The answer is 9435, but the approach to solving this problem is not clear. One suggestion is to start with a full deck of 52 cards and then remove all the straight hands containing the queen of spades.
BrownianMan
How many straight poker hands are there (not straight flush) from a deck of 51 cards with the queen of spades missing? A is high or low.

I know the answer is 9435, but I want to know why. I'm not sure how to approach this problem.

Any help?

Physics news on Phys.org
BrownianMan said:
How many straight poker hands are there (not straight flush) from a deck of 51 cards with the queen of spades missing? A is high or low.

I know the answer is 9435, but I want to know why. I'm not sure how to approach this problem.

Any help?

It is probably easiest to start with a full deck of 52 cards, then remove all the straights containing the queen of spades.

RGV

Last edited:
I agree w/ Ray's suggestion. Do you know how to do that?

1. What is a combinatorics problem in poker?

A combinatorics problem in poker is a type of mathematical problem that involves calculating the number of possible outcomes or combinations of hands in a game of poker. It is used to determine the probability of certain hands or outcomes occurring in a game.

2. How many possible poker hands are there?

There are 2,598,960 possible poker hands in a standard 52-card deck. This includes all combinations of 5 cards, such as straight flushes, full houses, and high cards.

3. How is combinatorics used in poker strategy?

Combinatorics is used in poker strategy to calculate the probability of certain hands or outcomes occurring, which can inform players' decisions on betting, raising, or folding. It can also be used to analyze opponents' potential hands and make strategic decisions based on that information.

4. What is the difference between permutations and combinations in poker?

In poker, permutations refer to the different ways that cards can be arranged within a hand, while combinations refer to the different sets of cards that can make up a hand. For example, there are 5,108 possible permutations of 7 cards, but only 21 possible combinations of 5 cards. Combinatorics is used to calculate both permutations and combinations in poker.

5. How can I improve my understanding of combinatorics in poker?

To improve your understanding of combinatorics in poker, it is helpful to practice calculating probabilities and combinations for different types of hands. There are also many resources available online, such as poker forums and tutorials, that can provide further explanations and examples of combinatorics in poker.