1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Combining Parametric Equations

1. Jan 9, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Show that every point on the line v = (1,-1,2) + t(2,3,1) satisfies the equation
    5x - 3y - z - 6 = 0

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

So what I did was solve the equation v by adding the x,z,and z components to get

x = 1 + 2t
    y = -1 + 3t
    z = 2 + t

So I'm thinking that if I can combine these into one equation that I would end up getting the answer. Problem is I can't figure out how to combine the three equations in an equation with all three variables. I keep getting the function in terms of two variables, or the wrong answer all together. One method I used was solving the z equation for t and then plugging it into the x equation and then the y equation. I tried setting they both equal to zero...

t = z -2
    y = 3z-7 y - 3z + 7 = 0
    x = 2z-3 x - 2z + 3 = 0

y - 3z + 7 = x -2z + 3

y - z - x + 4 = 0

Obviously this isn't the correct answer. What am I doin' wrong here?
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 9, 2008 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Just put your parametric t expressions for x,y and z into 5x-3y-z-6. Do you get zero?
  4. Jan 10, 2008 #3
    Cool... that works. Why didn't my method work also? Is there more than one equation that can solve that parametric equation?
  5. Jan 10, 2008 #4
    Stupid answer goes here.
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2008
  6. Jan 10, 2008 #5
    Was my algebraic logic correct though? The answer I got was not off by a constant.
  7. Jan 10, 2008 #6
    Never mind, I'm an idiot. A line doesn't determine a plane. Wow. Your work is fine, it's just you found a plane that the line is in that isn't the plane you started with.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?