Combustion Volume vs. Heat Transfer and AM radio

In summary: It may be safer to just rent some equipment, which could include a portable generator.In summary, the person is seeking help with two problems. The first is about the amount of thermal energy being lost when using a gas stove to boil water and the possibility of varying the amount of gas used to boil the water faster. The second is about using AM or FM radio to broadcast music at a concert-level volume and the potential need for a license or rental equipment. The expert suggests that the father's opinion about wasting energy is correct and recommends using FM radio and possibly renting equipment instead of trying to rig an AM radio.
Lord_Pi
Hello,

I have 2 problems that are currently bothering me, and I would enjoy help with either.

The more immediate of these problems is with my family's gas stove. Whenever we need water to boil, we put the pot on and turn the burner all the way up. My father then comes in and turns it halfway down, and berates us for wasting gas (for the flames that leak over the side of the pot). My question is: How much thermal energy can reasonably be lost in such a situation? And does varying the amount of combusting gas significantly vary the amount of thermal energy being put into the pot, and the time it takes the water to boil?

My second issue is this: I have an event coming up soon, that I would like to have music for, at concert-level volume. The issue is that I don't have concert-level speakers, nor am I willing to buy them. As an alternative, I thought it would be a good idea to convince some friends who will be attending the event to lend me their cars for the duration so I can broadcast music over an AM radio frequency. The issue is that I have no idea how to do this. Would it be possible to re-rig an AM radio to broadcast signals on a specific frequency, over a distance of more than a few feet?

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide with either of these problems!

Science news on Phys.org
1) Your father's opinion is the right one. Flames spreading well beyond the pot's bottom just waste energy.

2) AM has a very limited bandwidth below 4 kHz whereas FM goes beyond 15 kHz. I'd go for FM. Even though simple radio transmitters can be found on the Web, broadcasting radio signals may require a license.

1. What is the relationship between combustion volume and heat transfer?

The combustion volume and heat transfer are directly related. The larger the combustion volume, the higher the heat transfer will be. This is because a larger volume of fuel is being burned, resulting in more heat being produced.

2. How does AM radio relate to combustion volume and heat transfer?

AM radio signals can be affected by changes in combustion volume and heat transfer. This is because the frequency of the radio waves is affected by the changes in temperature caused by combustion. This can result in static or interference in the radio signal.

3. Can changes in combustion volume and heat transfer impact the performance of an engine?

Yes, changes in combustion volume and heat transfer can significantly impact the performance of an engine. If the combustion volume is too high or too low, it can result in a decrease in engine power and efficiency. Similarly, if there is an issue with heat transfer, it can lead to overheating or inefficient combustion.

4. Are there any safety concerns related to combustion volume and heat transfer?

Yes, proper management of combustion volume and heat transfer is essential for safety. If the combustion volume is too high, it can result in an explosion or fire. Similarly, if there is poor heat transfer, it can cause overheating, which can also lead to fire hazards.

5. How can scientists study and control combustion volume and heat transfer?

There are various techniques and tools that scientists use to study and control combustion volume and heat transfer. These include computer simulations, thermal imaging, and experimental setups. By understanding the principles of combustion and heat transfer, scientists can develop strategies to optimize these processes in engines and other systems.