Common multiple of two numbers

This can be extended to any prime number and their multiples. Therefore, if a and b are both multiples of a prime number p, then their LCM (least common multiple) must also be a multiple of p. In other words, if a and b are both multiples of a prime number p, then ab must also be a multiple of p. This can be generalized to any set of prime numbers, proving the original statement that the multiples of a and b are also multiples of the product of those prime numbers.
alpuy

Homework Statement

I want to demonstrate that the numbers that are multiple of a and b at the same time, are the multiples of ab.

Let a be 2 and b be 3.

In the middle of the proof i get to a point that i have to prove that if 3*k2 is multiple of 2 then k2 is multiple of 2.

Homework Equations

3*k2 is multiple of 2 → k2 is multiple of 2

The Attempt at a Solution

As 3 is not multiple of 2, then k2 has to be multiple of 2. I do not know how to prove it formally.Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
alpuy said:

Homework Statement

I want to demonstrate that the numbers that are multiple of a and b at the same time, are the multiples of ab.

Let a be 2 and b be 3.

In the middle of the proof i get to a point that i have to prove that if 3*k2 is multiple of 2 then k2 is multiple of 2.

Homework Equations

3*k2 is multiple of 2 → k2 is multiple of 2

The Attempt at a Solution

As 3 is not multiple of 2, then k2 has to be multiple of 2. I do not know how to prove it formally.

Thanks

The result you state

"the numbers that are multiple of a and b at the same time, are the multiples of ab"

is false in general, but is true for certain a and b (such as your a = 2 and b = 3). To see that the general statement is not true, consider a = 4 and b = 6; their least common multiple is 12, not 4 ##\times## 6 = 24.

What do you think you need to assume about a and b to make the result true?

alpuy said:
As 3 is not multiple of 2, then k2 has to be multiple of 2. I do not know how to prove it formally.
Proof by contradiction. If k2 is not a multiple of 2, it is an odd number. What is the product of two odd numbers?

This is related to the unique prime factorization of positive integers, by the way.

See the post of Ray Vickson for a general problem with your question.

Ray Vickson said:
The result you state

"the numbers that are multiple of a and b at the same time, are the multiples of ab"

is false in general, but is true for certain a and b (such as your a = 2 and b = 3). To see that the general statement is not true, consider a = 4 and b = 6; their least common multiple is 12, not 4 ##\times## 6 = 24.

What do you think you need to assume about a and b to make the result true?

Ok, i see that that statement is not true, the statement may be valid for prime numbers, how is the proof?

mfb said:
Proof by contradiction. If k2 is not a multiple of 2, it is an odd number. What is the product of two odd numbers?

This is related to the unique prime factorization of positive integers, by the way.

See the post of Ray Vickson for a general problem with your question.

You are right it can be proven by contradiction. (2m + 1)(2n + 1) = 4mn + 2(m + n) + 1.
and 4mn + 2(m + n) is even so 4mn + 2(m + n) + 1 is odd.

How is it related to the unique prime factorization of positive integers?

Regards

alpuy said:
How is it related to the unique prime factorization of positive integers?
If a is divisible by 2 and a=b*c, then b or c (or both) is divisible by 2 because the prime factor of 2 has to "be somewhere in the product."

1. What is a common multiple of two numbers?

A common multiple of two numbers is a number that is divisible by both of the original numbers without leaving any remainder.

2. How do you find the common multiple of two numbers?

To find the common multiple of two numbers, you can list out the multiples of each number and find the smallest number that appears in both lists. Alternatively, you can use the least common multiple (LCM) formula: LCM = (a*b) / GCD(a,b), where a and b are the two numbers and GCD is the greatest common divisor.

3. What is the difference between a common multiple and a least common multiple?

A common multiple is any number that is divisible by two or more numbers, while a least common multiple is the smallest positive number that is a common multiple of a given set of numbers. In other words, the LCM is the smallest of all the common multiples.

4. Can there be more than one common multiple of two numbers?

Yes, there can be multiple common multiples of two numbers. For example, the common multiples of 4 and 6 are 12, 24, 36, etc. This is because both 4 and 6 have multiple factors that can result in a common multiple.

5. Why is finding common multiples important?

Finding common multiples is important in many mathematical applications, such as simplifying fractions, finding equivalent fractions, and solving algebraic equations. It also helps in understanding the relationship between numbers and their factors.