1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Physics Community College lecturer with foreign masters?

  1. May 13, 2016 #1
    Is it possible to teach community college physics in the US with a foreign (UK) master's in physics? I know they require 18 graduate credit hours of physics, but will they accept foreign credit especially since they don't use credit hours and the course titles might be different?
  2. jcsd
  3. May 13, 2016 #2


    Staff: Mentor

    I think having the MS in Physics will work.

    Here's the hiring page from our local college:


    I had applied once without the MS in physics (I had one in CS). I got an interview, taught a demo class and aced it but got rejected because I had 17 grad credit hours in physics. However they said get that extra one and we'll let you teach. I did but circumstances changed when I started work as a staff software developer at a local university and then got too busy to teach.
  4. May 13, 2016 #3
    Did you ever go into teaching? Do you think you get bottlenecked into doing only that since it doesn't give you industry experience?
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted