Commutation relations between P and L

In summary: The first term is zero when i=s and p=j, and similar analysis for the other terms. I end up with zero and this is not correct. Can you see where I went wrong?
CAF123
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Compute the commutation relations of the momentum operator ##\underline{\hat{P}}## and the angular momentum operator ##\underline{\hat{L}}##

Homework Equations

$$\hat{L_i} = -i\hbar \epsilon_{ijk} x_j \frac{\partial}{\partial_k} = \epsilon_{ijk}x_j \hat{P_k}$$

The Attempt at a Solution

$$[\hat{P_j}, \hat{L_i}] = [\hat{P_j}, \epsilon_{ijk} x_j \hat{P_k}] = [\hat{P_j}, \epsilon_{ijk} \hat{X_j}]\hat{P_k} + \epsilon_{ijk} \hat{X_j}[\hat{P_j}, \hat{P_k}],$$ where I used the relation ##[A,BC] = [A,B]C + B[A,C]## with A,B and C operators. The latter term is zero, and so this reduces to ##[\hat{P_j}, \epsilon_{ijk} \hat{X_j}]\hat{P_k}## which I think is the same as ##-i\hbar \epsilon_{ijk} \delta_{ij} \hat{P_k}##

I then said ##\delta_{ij}## is only nonzero (=1) when ##i=j##. But if ##i=j## then the tensor ##\epsilon_{ijk} = 0## hence my conclusion was that the expression is zero always.
I checked the answer online, and it appears this is not always the case. So where is my error?

Physics news on Phys.org
This cannot work from the very beginning, because you used the index [itex]j[/itex] twice in your commutator, once as a free index at the momentum component and once when summing over the Levi-Civita-symbol. Relabel the free index, and you'll find out that the momentum components behave under rotations as a vector as it must be!

Thanks vanhees71, I got it. A similar question is to compute ##[\hat{L_i}, \hat{L_j}]## This can be rewritten as $$[\epsilon_{ipq} \hat{X_p} \hat{P_q}, \epsilon_{jrs} \hat{X_r}\hat{P_s}]$$Now using the relation [A,BC] in the previous post and then subsequently [AB,C] = A[B,C] + [A,C]B, I obtain after some cancellation of terms $$-\epsilon_{ipq} \epsilon_{jrs} \hat{X_p}i\hbar \delta_{rq} \hat{P_s} + \epsilon_{jrs}\epsilon_{ipq} \hat{X_r} i\hbar \delta_{ps}
\hat{P_q}$$Now the first term is non zero only when r=q and the second term only non zero when p=s. So relabel the indices in the Levi-Civita tensors to give the equivalent$$-\epsilon_{ipr} \epsilon_{jrs} \hat{X_p} i\hbar \hat{P_s} + \epsilon_{jrp}\epsilon_{ipq} \hat{X_r} i\hbar\hat{P_q}$$ Rewrite in the following way: $$-\epsilon_{rip} \epsilon_{rsj} \hat{X_p} i\hbar \hat{P_s} + \epsilon_{pjr}\epsilon_{pqi} \hat{X_r} i\hbar\hat{P_q}$$

Using the identity ##\epsilon_{ikl} \epsilon_{imn} = \delta_{km} \delta_{ln} - \delta_{kn}\delta_{lm}## I have that my expression is equal to: $$-\delta_{is} \delta_{pj} \hat{X_p}i \hbar \hat{P_s} + \delta_{ij} \delta_{ps} \hat{X_p} i\hbar \hat{P_s} + \delta_{jq}\delta_{ri} \hat{X_r} i \hbar \hat{P_q} - \delta_{ji} \delta_{rq} \hat{X_r} i\hbar \hat{P_q}$$
First term nonzero when i=s and p=j, and similar analysis for the other terms. I end up with zero and this is not correct. Can you see where I went wrong?

1. What are commutation relations between P and L?

Commutation relations between P and L refer to the mathematical relationships between the momentum operator (P) and the angular momentum operator (L) in quantum mechanics. These relations describe how these operators behave when applied to a quantum mechanical system.

2. Why are commutation relations between P and L important?

Commutation relations between P and L are important because they play a crucial role in determining the possible states and energies of a quantum mechanical system. They also help us understand the fundamental principles of quantum mechanics, such as the uncertainty principle.

3. How do the commutation relations between P and L differ from classical mechanics?

In classical mechanics, the position and momentum of a particle are considered to be independent quantities. However, in quantum mechanics, the position and momentum operators do not commute, meaning their values cannot be simultaneously known with certainty. This is in contrast to classical mechanics, where these quantities can be precisely determined.

4. Can commutation relations between P and L be derived from first principles?

Yes, commutation relations between P and L can be derived from the fundamental principles of quantum mechanics. These relations arise from the non-commutative nature of the operators in quantum mechanics and are a consequence of the uncertainty principle.

5. How do commutation relations between P and L affect the behavior of particles?

The commutation relations between P and L affect the behavior of particles by limiting our ability to know the exact position and momentum of a particle at the same time. This leads to the probabilistic nature of quantum mechanics, where the behavior of particles is described in terms of probabilities rather than definite values.