1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Commutation relations between P and L

1. Oct 27, 2013 #1

CAF123

Gold Member

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Compute the commutation relations of the momentum operator ##\underline{\hat{P}}## and the angular momentum operator ##\underline{\hat{L}}##

2. Relevant equations
    $$\hat{L_i} = -i\hbar \epsilon_{ijk} x_j \frac{\partial}{\partial_k} = \epsilon_{ijk}x_j \hat{P_k}$$

3. The attempt at a solution
    $$[\hat{P_j}, \hat{L_i}] = [\hat{P_j}, \epsilon_{ijk} x_j \hat{P_k}] = [\hat{P_j}, \epsilon_{ijk} \hat{X_j}]\hat{P_k} + \epsilon_{ijk} \hat{X_j}[\hat{P_j}, \hat{P_k}],$$ where I used the relation ##[A,BC] = [A,B]C + B[A,C]## with A,B and C operators. The latter term is zero, and so this reduces to ##[\hat{P_j}, \epsilon_{ijk} \hat{X_j}]\hat{P_k}## which I think is the same as ##-i\hbar \epsilon_{ijk} \delta_{ij} \hat{P_k}##

I then said ##\delta_{ij}## is only nonzero (=1) when ##i=j##. But if ##i=j## then the tensor ##\epsilon_{ijk} = 0## hence my conclusion was that the expression is zero always.
    I checked the answer online, and it appears this is not always the case. So where is my error?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 27, 2013 #2

vanhees71

Science Advisor
    2016 Award

This cannot work from the very beginning, because you used the index [itex]j[/itex] twice in your commutator, once as a free index at the momentum component and once when summing over the Levi-Civita-symbol. Relabel the free index, and you'll find out that the momentum components behave under rotations as a vector as it must be!

4. Oct 27, 2013 #3

CAF123

Gold Member

Thanks vanhees71, I got it. A similar question is to compute ##[\hat{L_i}, \hat{L_j}]## This can be rewritten as $$[\epsilon_{ipq} \hat{X_p} \hat{P_q}, \epsilon_{jrs} \hat{X_r}\hat{P_s}]$$Now using the relation [A,BC] in the previous post and then subsequently [AB,C] = A[B,C] + [A,C]B, I obtain after some cancellation of terms $$-\epsilon_{ipq} \epsilon_{jrs} \hat{X_p}i\hbar \delta_{rq} \hat{P_s} + \epsilon_{jrs}\epsilon_{ipq} \hat{X_r} i\hbar \delta_{ps}
    \hat{P_q}$$Now the first term is non zero only when r=q and the second term only non zero when p=s. So relabel the indices in the Levi-Civita tensors to give the equivalent$$-\epsilon_{ipr} \epsilon_{jrs} \hat{X_p} i\hbar \hat{P_s} + \epsilon_{jrp}\epsilon_{ipq} \hat{X_r} i\hbar\hat{P_q}$$ Rewrite in the following way: $$-\epsilon_{rip} \epsilon_{rsj} \hat{X_p} i\hbar \hat{P_s} + \epsilon_{pjr}\epsilon_{pqi} \hat{X_r} i\hbar\hat{P_q}$$

Using the identity ##\epsilon_{ikl} \epsilon_{imn} = \delta_{km} \delta_{ln} - \delta_{kn}\delta_{lm}## I have that my expression is equal to: $$-\delta_{is} \delta_{pj} \hat{X_p}i \hbar \hat{P_s} + \delta_{ij} \delta_{ps} \hat{X_p} i\hbar \hat{P_s} + \delta_{jq}\delta_{ri} \hat{X_r} i \hbar \hat{P_q} - \delta_{ji} \delta_{rq} \hat{X_r} i\hbar \hat{P_q}$$
    First term nonzero when i=s and p=j, and similar analysis for the other terms. I end up with zero and this is not correct. Can you see where I went wrong?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted