1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Angular Momentum Commutator relation

1. Oct 9, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Calculate the commutator ##[\hat{L}_i, (\mathbf{rp})^2]##

2. Relevant equations

##\hat{\vec{L}} = \sum\limits_{a=1}^N \vec{r}_a \times \hat{\vec{p}}##
    ##[r_i,p_k] = i\hbar\delta_{ik}##

3. The attempt at a solution

Okay so here is what I have so far:

$$
    \begin{eqnarray}
    [\hat{L}_i, (\mathbf{rp})^2] & = &\left [\epsilon_{ikl}r_k p_l, \sum\limits_j r_j^2 p_j^2\right] \\
    & = & \epsilon_{ikl}\left(r_k \left[p_l, \sum\limits_j r_j^2 p_j^2\right] + \left[r_k, \sum\limits_j r_j^2 p_j^2\right]p_l\right)
    \end{eqnarray}
    $$

My next step is I think would be to expand the summation terms, but I am not quite sure if that would the correct step.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 9, 2014 #2

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I don't follow your first relevant equation. What is a ? All I ever learned was ##{\bf L} = {\bf r} \times {\bf p}##.

Although your last step is ingenious, it only seems to make the expression longer. Wouldn't it be easier to make use of the basic commutation relations, such as ##[L_x, y] =[yp_z-zp_y,y]=-z[p_y,y]=i \hbar z## ?

4. Oct 9, 2014 #3
    From Landau Liftshitz pg 82 I have that ##-i\hbar \mathbf{r}\times \vec{\nabla} = \mathbf{r}\times\hat{\mathbf{p}}##, my mistake on that first equation I was looking at something else in my notes and confused it. But regardless my thinking with the last step was that I could get it in terms of ##p^2[p,r^2] +[p,p^2]r^2## or more explicitly
    $$ \epsilon_{ikl}\left(r_k\sum\limits_j p_j^2\left[p_l,r_j^2\right]+\sum\limits_j\left[r_k,p_j^2\right]r_j^2 p_l\right),$$
    but you are correct that it does make it longer. Where are you saying that the expression you wrote should be applied?

5. Oct 9, 2014 #4

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I was just giving one example. There's also ##[L_x, p_y]##, ##[L_x, x]##, ##[L_x, p_x]## (latter two are 0).

One more thing: ##(rp)^2 = \sum\limits_j r_j p_j r_j p_j## ; what do you use to be able to write ##(rp)^2 = \sum\limits_j r_j r_j p_j p_j## ? because I seem to remember that ## p_j r_j = r_j p_j - [r_j, p_j] ## ...

6. Oct 9, 2014 #5
    Ahh yes you are right that will change things, also I suppose I could just drop the sum altogether since it is implied. That may make it easier to split it up. Ill take a look at it. Thanks for your input.

7. Oct 9, 2014 #6
    Okay so I retried it and I have a result, though I am not sure that it is correct here is what I do:

$$
    \begin{eqnarray}
    [\hat{L}_i, (\mathbf{rp})^2] & = & \left[\epsilon_{ikl} r_k p_l, r_j p_j r_j p_j\right]\\
    & = & \epsilon_{ikl}\left(r_k\left[p_l, r_j p_j r_j p_j\right] + \left[ r_k, r_j p_j r_j p_j\right]p_l\right)\\
    & = & \epsilon_{ikl}\left(r_k\left[p_l, r_j p_j \right] r_j p_j+ r_j p_j \left[ r_k, r_j p_j \right]p_l\right)\\
    & = & \epsilon_{ikl}\left(r_k\left(-i\hbar p_j\delta_{jl}\right)r_j p_j + r_j p_j\left(i\hbar r_j\delta_{kj}\right) p_l \right) \\
    & = & \epsilon_{ikl}\left(-i\hbar r_k p_l r_j p_j + i\hbar r_k p_l r_j p_j\right) \\
    & = & \boxed{ 0 }
    \end{eqnarray}
    $$

Any flaws in that logic?

8. Oct 10, 2014 #7

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Just a detail: you left out the summation

Well, it is strange that it should change anything: ##[r_j, p_j]## is a number, so that should commute with ##L_i##...meaning ##
    \left [\epsilon_{ikl}r_k p_l, \sum\limits_j r_j^2 p_j^2\right] \ ## should come out 0 too, isn't it ?

9. Oct 10, 2014 #8

nrqed

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

One has to wrote ## (\vec{r} \cdot \vec{p})^2 ## as ## r_j p_j r_a p_a ## i.e. one must use two different sets of indices.
    Also, on your third line you left out a couple of terms since, as you know, [A,BC] = B[A,C] + [A,B] C.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted