1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Commutation relationsl, angular momentum

1. May 5, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    calculate the following commutation relations
    [tex][L_{x}L_{y}]=[/tex]
    [tex][L_{y}L_{z}]=[/tex]
    [tex]][L_{z}L_{x}]=[/tex]

2. Relevant equations

[tex] [L_{x},L_{y}]= -\hbar^2[y\frac{\partial}{\partial x}-x\frac{\partial}{\partial y}][/tex]
    where the expression in the parentheses describes [tex] L_{z}[/tex]
    but i still have [tex] \hbar^2[/tex] can someone explain to me how we get [tex] i \hbar L_{z}[/tex] where did the [tex] \hbar^2[/tex] go? And how did we get i back again?

here is my calculation
    [tex][L_{x},L_{y}]= L_{x}L_{y}-L_{y}L_{x}=-\hbar^2[(y\frac{\partial}{\partial z}-z\frac{\partial}{\partial y})(z\frac{\partial}{\partial x}-x\frac{\partial}{\partial z})-(z\frac{\partial}{\partial x}-x\frac{\partial}{\partial z})(y\frac{\partial}{\partial z}-z\frac{\partial}{\partial y})][/tex]

here is my second commutation
    [tex] [L_{z},L_{x}]= [/tex] in this one i get plus instead of minus......do not know where i make mistake...
    [tex][L_{z},L_{x}]= }=-\hbar^2[(x\frac{\partial}{\partial y}-y\frac{\partial}{\partial x})(y\frac{\partial}{\partial z}-z\frac{\partial}{\partial y})-(y\frac{\partial}{\partial z}-z\frac{\partial}{\partial y})(x\frac{\partial}{\partial y}-y\frac{\partial}{\partial x})]= -\hbar^2(x\frac{\partial}{\partial z}+z\frac{\partial}{\partial x})[/tex]
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. jcsd
  3. May 5, 2010 #2
    Ummm, yeah, you're missing the ihbar because you haven't equated the
    [tex]
    [L_{x},L_{y}]= -\hbar^2[y\frac{\partial}{\partial x}-x\frac{\partial}{\partial y}]
    [/tex]
    part to how Lz is supposed to look. You'll hit your head as you notice that to get to Lz you need a factor of ihbar. Same for the others. :)

4. May 5, 2010 #3
    hm i still do not get it.......first it dissapears and then suddenly comes upp again....
    and why in the last commutation the sign is wrong?

5. May 5, 2010 #4

lanedance

Homework Helper

[tex] [L_{x},L_{y}]
    = -\hbar^2[y\frac{\partial}{\partial x}-x\frac{\partial}{\partial y}]
    = (i^2)\hbar^2[y\frac{\partial}{\partial x}-x\frac{\partial}{\partial y}]
    = (i\hbar) \left(i\hbar[y\frac{\partial}{\partial x}-x\frac{\partial}{\partial y}]
    \right)

[/tex]

6. May 5, 2010 #5

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

That's your mistake. You're forgetting the factor of [itex]i\hbar[/itex].

[tex]L_{z} = i\hbar \left(y\frac{\partial}{\partial x}-x\frac{\partial}{\partial y}\right) \ne y\frac{\partial}{\partial x}-x\frac{\partial}{\partial y}[/tex]
    We can't see where you made the mistake either since you didn't show your work. The set-up looks fine, though.

7. May 6, 2010 #6
    if you dont want things to get messy try to start from the fact that L= rxp
    then, Lx= yp(z) - zp(y) .. Ly= zp(x) - xp(z) .. Lz = xp(y) - yp(x)

also make use of : [x,y]=0, [x,z]=0, [y,z]=0, [px,y]=0, [px,z]=0, [py,x]=0, [py,z]=0, [pz,x]=0, [pz,y]=0, [px,x]=-ih-par, [py,y]=-ih-par, [pz,z]=-ih-par ..

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook