Commutation relationsl, angular momentum

In summary, the homework statement is trying to calculate the following commutation relations: [L_{x}L_{y}]= [L_{y}L_{z}]= [L_{z}L_{x}]= but i still have \hbar^2 can someone explain to me how we get i \hbar L_{z} where did the \hbar^2 go? And how did we get i back again?
rayman123

Homework Statement

calculate the following commutation relations
[tex][L_{x}L_{y}]=[/tex]
[tex][L_{y}L_{z}]=[/tex]
[tex]][L_{z}L_{x}]=[/tex]

Homework Equations

[tex] [L_{x},L_{y}]= -\hbar^2[y\frac{\partial}{\partial x}-x\frac{\partial}{\partial y}][/tex]
where the expression in the parentheses describes [tex] L_{z}[/tex]
but i still have [tex] \hbar^2[/tex] can someone explain to me how we get [tex] i \hbar L_{z}[/tex] where did the [tex] \hbar^2[/tex] go? And how did we get i back again?

here is my calculation
[tex][L_{x},L_{y}]= L_{x}L_{y}-L_{y}L_{x}=-\hbar^2[(y\frac{\partial}{\partial z}-z\frac{\partial}{\partial y})(z\frac{\partial}{\partial x}-x\frac{\partial}{\partial z})-(z\frac{\partial}{\partial x}-x\frac{\partial}{\partial z})(y\frac{\partial}{\partial z}-z\frac{\partial}{\partial y})][/tex]

here is my second commutation
[tex] [L_{z},L_{x}]= [/tex] in this one i get plus instead of minus...do not know where i make mistake...
[tex][L_{z},L_{x}]= }=-\hbar^2[(x\frac{\partial}{\partial y}-y\frac{\partial}{\partial x})(y\frac{\partial}{\partial z}-z\frac{\partial}{\partial y})-(y\frac{\partial}{\partial z}-z\frac{\partial}{\partial y})(x\frac{\partial}{\partial y}-y\frac{\partial}{\partial x})]= -\hbar^2(x\frac{\partial}{\partial z}+z\frac{\partial}{\partial x})[/tex]

Homework Statement

Physics news on Phys.org
Ummm, yeah, you're missing the ihbar because you haven't equated the
[tex]
[L_{x},L_{y}]= -\hbar^2[y\frac{\partial}{\partial x}-x\frac{\partial}{\partial y}]
[/tex]
part to how Lz is supposed to look. You'll hit your head as you notice that to get to Lz you need a factor of ihbar. Same for the others. :)

hm i still do not get it...first it dissapears and then suddenly comes upp again...
and why in the last commutation the sign is wrong?

[tex] [L_{x},L_{y}]
= -\hbar^2[y\frac{\partial}{\partial x}-x\frac{\partial}{\partial y}]
= (i^2)\hbar^2[y\frac{\partial}{\partial x}-x\frac{\partial}{\partial y}]
= (i\hbar) \left(i\hbar[y\frac{\partial}{\partial x}-x\frac{\partial}{\partial y}]
\right)

[/tex]

rayman123 said:
[tex] [L_{x},L_{y}]= -\hbar^2[y\frac{\partial}{\partial x}-x\frac{\partial}{\partial y}][/tex]
where the expression in the parentheses describes [tex]L_{z}[/tex]
That's your mistake. You're forgetting the factor of [itex]i\hbar[/itex].

[tex]L_{z} = i\hbar \left(y\frac{\partial}{\partial x}-x\frac{\partial}{\partial y}\right) \ne y\frac{\partial}{\partial x}-x\frac{\partial}{\partial y}[/tex]
here is my second commutation
[tex] [L_{z},L_{x}]= [/tex] in this one i get plus instead of minus...do not know where i make mistake...
[tex][L_{z},L_{x}]= }=-\hbar^2[(x\frac{\partial}{\partial y}-y\frac{\partial}{\partial x})(y\frac{\partial}{\partial z}-z\frac{\partial}{\partial y})-(y\frac{\partial}{\partial z}-z\frac{\partial}{\partial y})(x\frac{\partial}{\partial y}-y\frac{\partial}{\partial x})]= -\hbar^2(x\frac{\partial}{\partial z}+z\frac{\partial}{\partial x})[/tex]
We can't see where you made the mistake either since you didn't show your work. The set-up looks fine, though.

if you don't want things to get messy try to start from the fact that L= rxp
then, Lx= yp(z) - zp(y) .. Ly= zp(x) - xp(z) .. Lz = xp(y) - yp(x)

also make use of : [x,y]=0, [x,z]=0, [y,z]=0, [px,y]=0, [px,z]=0, [py,x]=0, [py,z]=0, [pz,x]=0, [pz,y]=0, [px,x]=-ih-par, [py,y]=-ih-par, [pz,z]=-ih-par ..

1. What are commutation relations in angular momentum?

Commutation relations in angular momentum are mathematical relationships that describe how two observables, such as angular momentum components, behave when they are measured simultaneously. They determine if the order of measurements affects the outcome and are essential to understanding quantum mechanics.

2. How do commutation relations affect the uncertainty principle?

Commutation relations play a crucial role in the uncertainty principle, which states that the more precisely we know one observable, the less precisely we can know another. This is because the commutator of two observables is related to their uncertainties. The smaller the commutator, the larger the uncertainties.

3. Can commutation relations be used to calculate the total angular momentum?

Yes, commutation relations can be used to calculate the total angular momentum of a system. The total angular momentum is the sum of the angular momentum of each particle in the system, and the commutation relations between the individual angular momentum components can be used to determine the commutator of the total angular momentum.

4. How do commutation relations differ from classical mechanics to quantum mechanics?

In classical mechanics, observables always commute, meaning their order of measurement does not affect the outcome. In quantum mechanics, however, observables may not commute, and their commutation relations must be taken into account when making measurements. This is a fundamental difference between the two theories.

5. Can commutation relations be generalized to other physical quantities?

Yes, commutation relations can be generalized to other physical quantities, such as position and momentum, energy and time, and more. These commutation relations help describe the behavior of these quantities in quantum mechanics and are essential in understanding the fundamental nature of the physical world.