1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Commutativity of differentiation in a special case

1. Aug 24, 2011 #1
    Problem

I'd like to prove [itex] \frac{d}{dt}[\frac{\partial}{\partial{x}}f(x(t),y(t),t)]=\frac{\partial}{\partial{x}}[\frac{d}{dt}f(x(t),y(t),t)][/itex].

Attempt
    [tex]\begin{equation*}\begin{split}
    \frac{d}{dt}[\frac{\partial}{\partial x}f(x(t),y(t),t)]=\frac{d}{dt}\lim_{\epsilon\to 0}\frac{f(x(t)+\epsilon,y(t),t)-f(x(t),y(t),t)}{\epsilon}\\
    =\lim_{\delta\to 0}\lim_{\epsilon\to 0} \frac{[f(x(t+\delta)+\epsilon,y(t+\delta),t+\delta)-f(x(t)+\epsilon,y(t),t)]-[f(x(t+\delta),y(t+\delta),t+\delta)-f(x(t),y(t),t)]}{\epsilon\delta}\end{split}\end{equation*}[/tex]

So if my previous steps are correct, I need to show that the 2 limits are commutative, which I have no idea...

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 24, 2011 #2

hunt_mat

Homework Helper

Did you know you can express the total derivative as a sum of partial derivatives?

4. Aug 24, 2011 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Are you required to go all the way back to the definition of derivative? If not, use the chain rule as hunt mat suggests.

5. Aug 24, 2011 #4
    Thanks for the hints!

[itex] \frac{d}{dt}\partial_{x}f(x(t), y(t), t)=(\sum\dot{x}_k \partial_{x_k}+\partial_t)\partial_{x}f=\sum\dot x_k\partial_{x_k}\partial_{x}f+\partial_t\partial_{x}f [/itex].

At this point, I need to show the "equality of mixed partials". I found the proof of [itex] f_{xy}=f_{yx}[/itex] for [itex] f(x, y) [/itex] here: http://www.sju.edu/~pklingsb/clairaut.pdf

My function is f(x(t), y(t), t) so a bit different.

For proving [itex] f_{x(t)\hspace{1mm}t} = f_{t\hspace{1 mm}x(t)}[/itex] for f(x(t), t), I think the proof in the note works if I substitute c=x(a) and d=x(b).

I also think the theorem can be extended to [itex] f(x_1(t), x_2(t), ..., x_n(t), t) [/itex] if I imagine slicing the n dimentional space by a plane parallel to [itex] x_i x_j [/itex] plane (or [itex] x_i\hspace{1 mm}t [/itex] plane).

So I have [itex] f_{x_i x_j}=f_{x_j x_i}[/itex] and [itex] f_{x_i\hspace{1 mm}t}=f_{t\hspace{1 mm}x_i}[/itex] for [itex] f(x_1(t), ..., x_n(t), t) [/itex]. Is that okay?

By the way, I don't understand why the author of the note wrote [itex] f_{xy}(x,y)-f_{yx}(x,y)\ge \frac{h}{2} [/itex]. Is that arbitrary? Can I use h/3 instead for example?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook