Commutator of r.p with H=p²/2m+V(r)

  • Thread starter Thread starter Trinitiet
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Commutator
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 11K views
Trinitiet
Messages
20
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



Let H be the hamiltonian H = p²/2m+V(r)
Let r.p be the scalar product between the vector r and p.

Calculate the Commutator [r.p , H]

(Commutator of [A,B]=AB-BA )

Homework Equations



The equations citated we should be using are:

[x_i, p_i]=i [tex]\hbar[/tex]

And commutatoralgebra equations:
[A,B]=-[B,A]
[A,B+C]=[A,B]+[A,C]
[A,BC]=[A,B]C+B[A,C]
[A,[B,C]]+[B,[C,A]]+[C,[A,B]]=0

The momentumoperator in configuration space:
p=-i[tex]\hbar \nabla[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution



The given solution in my course is:

[r.p, H] = [ (xp_x, yp_y, zp_z), 1/2m (p_x²+p_y²+p_z²)+V(x,y,z) ]
= ihbar / m (p_x²+p_y²+p_z²) - i hbar (x dV/dx + y dV/dy + z dV/dz)
= 2 i hbar T - i hbar (r. nabla V)

In the second rule, I used dV/dx where I should have used partial differentials.
In the last rule, T stands for the kinetic energy of the particle

I understand how we get from the second to the third rule, but the first to the second rule is a complete mystery.

Anyone in for some help? Thanks

Trinitiet
 
Physics news on Phys.org
How you get from the "first to the second rule" is not obvious. You need to provide some intermediate steps. I would start from
[r.p, H] = [ (xpx, ypy, zpz), 1/2m (px2+py2+pz2)+V(x,y,z) ]
=(1/2)m[ (xpx, ypy, zpz),(px2+py2+pz2)]+[ (xpx, ypy, zpz),V(x,y,z)]
and calculate each of the two commutators separately. Of course, they need to be split into more sums of commutators. Don't forget to simplify things using the relevant equations that you posted. They are very handy.
 
kuruman said:
How you get from the "first to the second rule" is not obvious. You need to provide some intermediate steps. I would start from
[r.p, H] = [ (xpx, ypy, zpz), 1/2m (px2+py2+pz2)+V(x,y,z) ]
=(1/2)m[ (xpx, ypy, zpz),(px2+py2+pz2)]+[ (xpx, ypy, zpz),V(x,y,z)]
and calculate each of the two commutators separately. Of course, they need to be split into more sums of commutators. Don't forget to simplify things using the relevant equations that you posted. They are very handy.

Oh :P I thought there was "some" easy trick I missed that allowed us to do it all in once. Thanks, I'll work it out
 
I noticed one mistake: The dot product isn't a vector.

It might also be less tedious to do the problem using Einstein's summation convention: repeated indices imply summation.

[tex][\vec{r}\cdot\vec{p},H] = [r_i p_i,\frac{p_j^2}{2m}+V(\vec{r})][/tex]