1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Commutator of the Dirac Hamiltonian and gamma 5

1. Nov 21, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Show that in the chiral (massless) limit, Gamma 5 commutes with the Dirac Hamiltonian in the presence of an electromagnetic field.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    My first question is whether my Dirac Hamiltonian looks correct, I constructed it by separating the temporal derivative from the spatial part from the Dirac equation:

$$ i \gamma^\mu (\partial_\mu +iqA_\mu)\psi=0 $$
    $$-i\gamma^0 \partial_t \psi=(i \gamma^i \partial_i -q\gamma^\mu A_\mu)\psi$$
    $$H\psi=i\partial_t \psi=(-i\gamma^0 \gamma^i \partial_i +q \gamma^0\gamma^\mu A_\mu)\psi$$

I don't have huge confidence that this Hamiltonian is correct so if anyone has any comments I'd be very grateful :)

My second sticking point is how to compute the commutator:

$$[H,\gamma^5]$$

I see that I can just work out the sum of the commutators of each section:

$$[-i\gamma^0 \gamma^i \partial_i, \gamma^5] + [q \gamma^0\gamma^\mu A_\mu, \gamma^5]$$

But I'm not sure how to work out how gamma 5 commutes with the partial_i term, or the A_mu term, any advice would be awesome :)

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 21, 2017 #2

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I think your Hamiltonian is correct.

When considering commutators, you only need to worry about the commutation of the matrices. Everything else can be "pulled out". For example,

$$[-i\gamma^0 \gamma^i \partial_i, \gamma^5] = [\gamma^0 \gamma^i , \gamma^5] \left( -i \partial_i \right)$$

4. Nov 23, 2017 #3
    Ah thank you! That clears everything up :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted