Dirac Lagrangian invariance under chiral transformation

In summary, the Dirac Lagrangian is a mathematical equation used in quantum field theory to describe the dynamics of fermions. Chiral transformation is a symmetry operation that changes the handedness of particles and is significant in the Dirac Lagrangian because it allows for the conservation of quantum numbers. Chiral symmetry also affects the behavior of fermions, leading to the chiral anomaly and the emergence of massless particles. However, the Dirac Lagrangian is only invariant under chiral transformations in the absence of mass terms due to the Goldstone theorem.
ppedro
Consider the Dirac Lagrangian,

[itex] L =\overline{\psi}\left(i\gamma^{\mu}\partial_{\mu}-m\right)\psi, [/itex]

where [itex] \overline{\psi}=\psi^{\dagger}\gamma^{0} [/itex], and show that, for [itex] \alpha\in\mathbb{R} [/itex] and in the limit [itex] m\rightarrow0 [/itex], it is invariant under the chiral transformation

[itex] \psi\rightarrow\psi'=e^{i\alpha\gamma_{5}}\psi [/itex]

[itex] \psi^{\dagger}\rightarrow\left(\psi^{\dagger}\right)'=\psi^{\dagger}e^{-i\alpha\gamma_{5}} [/itex]

Attempt at a solution

[itex] \begin{array}{ll}
L' & =\overline{\psi}'\left(i\gamma^{\mu}\partial_{\mu}-m\right)\psi'\\
& =\left(\psi^{\dagger}\right)'\gamma^{0}\left(i\gamma^{\mu}\partial_{\mu}-m\right)\psi'\\
& =\psi^{\dagger}e^{-i\alpha\gamma_{5}}\gamma^{0}\left(i\gamma^{\mu}\partial_{\mu}-m\right)e^{i\alpha\gamma_{5}}\psi\\
& =\underset{(i)}{\underbrace{i\psi^{\dagger}e^{-i\alpha\gamma_{5}}\gamma^{0}\gamma^{\mu}\partial_{\mu}e^{i\alpha\gamma_{5}}\psi}}-\underset{(ii)}{\underbrace{m\psi^{\dagger}e^{-i\alpha\gamma_{5}}\gamma^{0}e^{i\alpha\gamma_{5}}\psi}}\\
& =
\end{array} [/itex]

For (ii) I tried using [itex] \exp\left(s\hat{X}\right)\hat{Y}\exp\left(-s\hat{X}\right)=\hat{Y}+s\left[\hat{X},\hat{Y}\right] [/itex] to get

[itex] \begin{array}{ll}
(ii) & =m\psi^{\dagger}e^{-i\alpha\gamma_{5}}\gamma^{0}e^{i\alpha\gamma_{5}}\psi\\
& =m\psi^{\dagger}\left(\gamma^{0}-i\alpha\left[\gamma_{5},\gamma^{0}\right]\right)\psi\\
& =
\end{array} [/itex]

Can you help me finish this?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hint: ##\gamma_5## anti-commutes with all gamma matrices, including ##\gamma^0##.

Orodruin said:
Hint: ##\gamma_5## anti-commutes with all gamma matrices, including ##\gamma^0##.

I don't see it... Do you mean I should use that in (i) while also applying BCH's formula?

ppedro said:
I don't see it... Do you mean I should use the in (i) while also aplying BCH's formula?
There is no point in using the BCH formula. Just use the anti-commutativity.

How can I anti-commute with something that's in the exponent?

ppedro said:
How can I anti-commute with something that's in the exponent?
Use the series expansion of the exponent.

1. What is the Dirac Lagrangian?

The Dirac Lagrangian is a mathematical equation that describes the dynamics of fermions, which are particles with half-integer spin. It is used in quantum field theory to understand the behavior of elementary particles.

2. What is chiral transformation?

Chiral transformation is a symmetry operation that changes the handedness or chirality of a particle. This means that it transforms a left-handed particle into a right-handed one, or vice versa.

3. What is the significance of chiral symmetry in the Dirac Lagrangian?

The Dirac Lagrangian is invariant under chiral transformations, meaning that it remains the same before and after the transformation. This is significant because it allows for the conservation of certain quantum numbers, such as the number of left-handed particles, in particle interactions.

4. How does chiral symmetry affect the behavior of fermions?

Chiral symmetry dictates that left-handed and right-handed fermions behave differently under certain interactions. This is known as the chiral anomaly and has important implications in particle physics, such as the violation of parity and the emergence of massless particles.

5. Is the Dirac Lagrangian always invariant under chiral transformations?

No, the Dirac Lagrangian is only invariant under chiral transformations in the absence of mass terms. In the presence of mass terms, the symmetry is broken and the Lagrangian is not invariant. This is known as the Goldstone theorem.