1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Dirac Lagrangian invariance under chiral transformation

1. Jun 22, 2017 #1
    Consider the Dirac Lagrangian,

[itex] L =\overline{\psi}\left(i\gamma^{\mu}\partial_{\mu}-m\right)\psi, [/itex]

where [itex] \overline{\psi}=\psi^{\dagger}\gamma^{0} [/itex], and show that, for [itex] \alpha\in\mathbb{R} [/itex] and in the limit [itex] m\rightarrow0 [/itex], it is invariant under the chiral transformation

[itex] \psi\rightarrow\psi'=e^{i\alpha\gamma_{5}}\psi [/itex]

[itex] \psi^{\dagger}\rightarrow\left(\psi^{\dagger}\right)'=\psi^{\dagger}e^{-i\alpha\gamma_{5}} [/itex]

Attempt at a solution

[itex] \begin{array}{ll}
    L' & =\overline{\psi}'\left(i\gamma^{\mu}\partial_{\mu}-m\right)\psi'\\
    & =\left(\psi^{\dagger}\right)'\gamma^{0}\left(i\gamma^{\mu}\partial_{\mu}-m\right)\psi'\\
    & =\psi^{\dagger}e^{-i\alpha\gamma_{5}}\gamma^{0}\left(i\gamma^{\mu}\partial_{\mu}-m\right)e^{i\alpha\gamma_{5}}\psi\\
    & =\underset{(i)}{\underbrace{i\psi^{\dagger}e^{-i\alpha\gamma_{5}}\gamma^{0}\gamma^{\mu}\partial_{\mu}e^{i\alpha\gamma_{5}}\psi}}-\underset{(ii)}{\underbrace{m\psi^{\dagger}e^{-i\alpha\gamma_{5}}\gamma^{0}e^{i\alpha\gamma_{5}}\psi}}\\
    & =
    \end{array} [/itex]

For (ii) I tried using [itex] \exp\left(s\hat{X}\right)\hat{Y}\exp\left(-s\hat{X}\right)=\hat{Y}+s\left[\hat{X},\hat{Y}\right] [/itex] to get

[itex] \begin{array}{ll}
    (ii) & =m\psi^{\dagger}e^{-i\alpha\gamma_{5}}\gamma^{0}e^{i\alpha\gamma_{5}}\psi\\
    & =m\psi^{\dagger}\left(\gamma^{0}-i\alpha\left[\gamma_{5},\gamma^{0}\right]\right)\psi\\
    & =
    \end{array} [/itex]

Can you help me finish this?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 22, 2017 #2

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hint: ##\gamma_5## anti-commutes with all gamma matrices, including ##\gamma^0##.

4. Jun 22, 2017 #3
    I don't see it... Do you mean I should use that in (i) while also applying BCH's formula?

5. Jun 22, 2017 #4

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

There is no point in using the BCH formula. Just use the anti-commutativity.

6. Jun 22, 2017 #5
    How can I anti-commute with something that's in the exponent?

7. Jun 22, 2017 #6

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Use the series expansion of the exponent.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted