Commutator Proof: Show (x,p^n)= ixp^(n-1)

In summary, the commutator (x,p^n) can be evaluated using the previous result (x,p^2) = 2ip. The correct formula for (x,p^n) is ixp^(n-1), and it can be proved using induction and the general formula for commutators.
The Head

Homework Statement

Using (x,p) = i (where x and p are operators and the parentheses around these operators signal a commutator), show that:

a)(x^2,p)=2ix AND (x,p^2)=2ip
b) (x,p^n)= ixp^(n-1), using your previous result
c)evaluate (e^ix,p)

Homework Equations

For operators, in general:
(ab,c)=a(b,c)+(a,c)b
(a,bc)=(a,b)c + b(a,c)

The Attempt at a Solution

I have no trouble showing (a):
(x^2,p)=x(x,p)+(x,p)x=x(i) + i(x)=2ix
Same general strategy for (x,p^2)

In (b), I get lost when trying to apply the result I have already found. My attempt:

(x,p^n)=(x,p*p^(n-1)=(x,p)p^(n-1)+p(x,p^(n-1))=ip^(n-1) + p(x,p^(n-1))
I don't know where to go from here. I have tried pulling out more factors of p from the second term, but that gets me no where (at least from what I can see). I have also just played around a lot with the commutator, even starting from the end:

ixp^(n-1)=(x,p)p^(n-1)= xp^n - pxp^(n-1), but again, after this, whichever path I take doesn't seem to be fruitful.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you know how to do proofs by induction? It looks to me like the problem wants you to do it that way.

An induction proof goes as follows: First you proof some base case, such as N = 1 (like part A). Then you assume it's true for some n -1, and show that implies it's also true for N. These two steps show it's true for all N.

I thought about an induction proof-- I have some experience with these, but evidently not that much. After I get to where I left off:

I have to somehow turn this into ixp(n-1). I can't figure out how to get an "x" in the final expression that is separate from the commutator. I have tried expanding the second term further:
p(x,p^(n-1))=p(x,p*p^n-2)=p(x,p)p^(n-2) + p^2(x,p^(n-2))= p*i*p^(n-2) +p^2(x,p^(n-2))=ip^(n-1) + p^2(x,p^n-2)

Together with the first term I have:
ip^(n-1)+ip^(n-1) +(x,p^n-2)=2ip^(n-1) + (x,p^n-2) I feel like this only leads to an expression that equals something like nip^(n-1), but I can't find a way to make it "xip^(n-1)" Is it a mistake? Or am I just applying the strategy incorrectly?

The Head said:
I thought about an induction proof-- I have some experience with these, but evidently not that much. After I get to where I left off:

I have to somehow turn this into ixp(n-1). I can't figure out how to get an "x" in the final expression that is separate from the commutator. I have tried expanding the second term further:
p(x,p^(n-1))=p(x,p*p^n-2)=p(x,p)p^(n-2) + p^2(x,p^(n-2))= p*i*p^(n-2) +p^2(x,p^(n-2))=ip^(n-1) + p^2(x,p^n-2)

Together with the first term I have:
ip^(n-1)+ip^(n-1) +(x,p^n-2)=2ip^(n-1) + (x,p^n-2) I feel like this only leads to an expression that equals something like nip^(n-1), but I can't find a way to make it "xip^(n-1)" Is it a mistake? Or am I just applying the strategy incorrectly?

It looks like there is an error in the statement you are supposed to prove. [x,p^n]=inp^(n-1). There's no x in there.

For induction, you are supposed to assume that the n-1 case is true. this would imply:

(x,p^n-1) = ixp^n-2.

On the other hand, this approach doesn't quite seem to work, so I think that Dick is right, and there isn't supposed to be an x there.

DimReg said:
For induction, you are supposed to assume that the n-1 case is true. this would imply:

(x,p^n-1) = ixp^n-2.

On the other hand, this approach doesn't quite seem to work, so I think that Dick is right, and there isn't supposed to be an x there.

Of course not, the given formula ought to at least work for the n=2 case.

try this,xpnψ-pnxψ=-(pnx)ψ

What is a commutator?

A commutator is an operator in quantum mechanics that measures the degree to which two operators do not commute. It is defined as [A,B] = AB - BA.

What does the notation (x,p^n) mean?

The notation (x,p^n) represents the commutator between the position operator x and the momentum operator p raised to the power of n.

What does the proof "Show (x,p^n)= ixp^(n-1)" demonstrate?

This proof demonstrates that the commutator between the position operator x and the momentum operator p raised to the power of n is equal to ixp^(n-1), where i is the imaginary unit.

How is this proof useful in quantum mechanics?

This proof is useful because it allows us to calculate the commutator between position and momentum operators, which is important in understanding the uncertainty principle and other principles in quantum mechanics.

Can this proof be applied to other operators?

Yes, this proof can be applied to other operators in quantum mechanics to calculate their commutators and gain a better understanding of their behavior.