1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Commutator Proof: Show (x,p^n)= ixp^(n-1)

1. Feb 25, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Using (x,p) = i (where x and p are operators and the parentheses around these operators signal a commutator), show that:

a)(x^2,p)=2ix AND (x,p^2)=2ip
    b) (x,p^n)= ixp^(n-1), using your previous result
    c)evaluate (e^ix,p)

2. Relevant equations
    For operators, in general:
    (ab,c)=a(b,c)+(a,c)b
    (a,bc)=(a,b)c + b(a,c)

3. The attempt at a solution
    I have no trouble showing (a):
    (x^2,p)=x(x,p)+(x,p)x=x(i) + i(x)=2ix
    Same general strategy for (x,p^2)

In (b), I get lost when trying to apply the result I have already found. My attempt:

(x,p^n)=(x,p*p^(n-1)=(x,p)p^(n-1)+p(x,p^(n-1))=ip^(n-1) + p(x,p^(n-1))
    I don't know where to go from here. I have tried pulling out more factors of p from the second term, but that gets me no where (at least from what I can see). I have also just played around a lot with the commutator, even starting from the end:

ixp^(n-1)=(x,p)p^(n-1)= xp^n - pxp^(n-1), but again, after this, whichever path I take doesn't seem to be fruitful.

Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 25, 2013 #2
    Do you know how to do proofs by induction? It looks to me like the problem wants you to do it that way.

An induction proof goes as follows: First you proof some base case, such as N = 1 (like part A). Then you assume it's true for some n -1, and show that implies it's also true for N. These two steps show it's true for all N.

4. Feb 25, 2013 #3
    I thought about an induction proof-- I have some experience with these, but evidently not that much. After I get to where I left off:
    (x,p^n)=(x,p*p^(n-1)=(x,p)p^(n-1)+p(x,p^(n-1))=ip^(n-1) + p(x,p^(n-1))

I have to somehow turn this into ixp(n-1). I can't figure out how to get an "x" in the final expression that is separate from the commutator. I have tried expanding the second term further:
    p(x,p^(n-1))=p(x,p*p^n-2)=p(x,p)p^(n-2) + p^2(x,p^(n-2))= p*i*p^(n-2) +p^2(x,p^(n-2))=ip^(n-1) + p^2(x,p^n-2)

Together with the first term I have:
    ip^(n-1)+ip^(n-1) +(x,p^n-2)=2ip^(n-1) + (x,p^n-2) I feel like this only leads to an expression that equals something like nip^(n-1), but I can't find a way to make it "xip^(n-1)" Is it a mistake? Or am I just applying the strategy incorrectly?

5. Feb 25, 2013 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It looks like there is an error in the statement you are supposed to prove. [x,p^n]=inp^(n-1). There's no x in there.

6. Feb 26, 2013 #5
    For induction, you are supposed to assume that the n-1 case is true. this would imply:

(x,p^n-1) = ixp^n-2.

On the other hand, this approach doesn't quite seem to work, so I think that Dick is right, and there isn't supposed to be an x there.

7. Feb 26, 2013 #6

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Of course not, the given formula ought to at least work for the n=2 case.

8. Feb 26, 2013 #7
    try this,xpnψ-pnxψ=-(pnx)ψ

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted