Commutator relations for the Ehrenfest Theorem

In summary, the conversation discusses the derivation of Ehrenfestequations and the commutator relations for the Hamilton-Operator in a book. The conversation also includes a discussion on how to get certain results and the use of test functions to simplify the equations.
tommy01
Hi there,...

For a derivation of the Ehrenfestequations i found the following commutator relations for the Hamilton-Operator in a book:
[tex]H = \frac{p_{op}^2}{2m} + V(r,t)[/tex]
and the momentum-operator [tex]p_{op} = - i \hbar \nabla[/tex] respectively the position-operator [tex]r[/tex] in position space:

[tex][H,p_{op}] = -i \hbar (V(r,t) \nabla - \nabla V(r,t)) = i \hbar \nabla V(r,t)[/tex]

and

[tex][H,r] = \frac{\hbar^2}{2m} (\Delta r - r \Delta) = - \frac{\hbar^2}{m} \nabla[/tex]

so i don't understand how to get these results. it looks nearly like the use of the product rule but the signs don't match and especially in equation two: how does the laplace-operator become a nabla?

sorry if this problem is obviously but i dont't see it.

thanks and greetings.
tommy

Physics news on Phys.org
Working in one dimension for simplicity:

[tex] [H,p] = [V,p]=-i\hbar(V \frac{d}{dx} - \frac{d}{dx} V)[/tex]

Now, the operator [itex] d/dx V [/itex] corresponds to first applying the operator V (multiplying the wavefunction by V) and then the operator d/dx. It might help to use a test function:

[tex] \frac{d}{dx} V f = \frac{d}{dx} (Vf) = \frac{dV}{dx} f + V \frac{df}{dx} [/tex]

So that, in terms of operators:

[tex] \frac{d}{dx} V = \frac{dV}{dx} + V \frac{d}{dx} [/tex]

Note the first term on the RHS is different from the LHS: it just says to multiply the wavefunction by the function dV/dx.

Plugging this in above:

[tex] [H,p] = -i\hbar(V \frac{d}{dx} - \frac{dV}{dx} - V\frac{d}{dx}) = i \hbar \frac{dV}{dx}[/tex]

You can work out [H,x] similarly. I would recommend using a test function first.

thanks a lot,... i was blind ;)
greetings

1. What is the Ehrenfest Theorem?

The Ehrenfest Theorem is a mathematical theorem that relates the time evolution of quantum mechanical expectation values to the corresponding classical equations of motion. It is named after the Austrian physicist Paul Ehrenfest.

2. How do commutator relations play a role in the Ehrenfest Theorem?

The commutator relations between operators are used to derive the equations of motion for quantum mechanical expectation values in the Ehrenfest Theorem. These relations describe how the order of operators affects the results of a mathematical operation.

3. Can you explain the mathematical formula for the Ehrenfest Theorem?

The mathematical formula for the Ehrenfest Theorem is given by:
d⟨A⟩/dt = (1/iħ)⟨[A,H]⟩ + ⟨∂A/∂t⟩
where d⟨A⟩/dt is the time derivative of the quantum mechanical expectation value of the operator A, ħ is the reduced Planck's constant, [A,H] is the commutator of A and the Hamiltonian operator H, and ∂A/∂t is the partial derivative of A with respect to time.

4. What is the significance of the Ehrenfest Theorem in quantum mechanics?

The Ehrenfest Theorem is significant because it allows us to connect the behavior of quantum mechanical systems to classical mechanics. It shows that under certain conditions, quantum systems can behave similarly to classical systems, providing a bridge between the two approaches.

5. Are there any limitations to the Ehrenfest Theorem?

Yes, there are limitations to the Ehrenfest Theorem. It is only valid for systems that are in a pure state, and it does not take into account the effects of quantum fluctuations. Additionally, it may not accurately describe the behavior of systems with strong interactions or in highly excited states.