Commutators with powers? A 'show that' question

In summary, the question asks to prove the commutator identity [AB,C]=A[B,C]+[A,C]B using ring theory and Leibniz algebra. The attempt at a solution involved using a test function and expanding the expression, then re-arranging and using commutator identities to arrive at the desired expression.
Talvon

Homework Statement

The question is 'show that the commutator [AB,C]=A[B,C]+[A,C]B'

Homework Equations

I'm not sure, a search for a proof gave the names 'ring theory' and 'Leibniz algebra', but further searching hasn't provided a proof so far and it seems it is just accepted as a standard identity. Ring theory isn't on my syllabus and I haven't heard of it before today :|

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried applying the arbitrary commutators and I got ABC-CAB, and now I'm stuck lol as I can't arrange it to fit the above. Any help would be greatly appreciated, as I'm most likely going about it the wrong way, any identities for commutators with multiplied operators within them would be useful to know :P

Physics news on Phys.org
Introduce a test function f:

[AB,C]f = ABCf - CABf = A([B,C]- CB)f + ([A,C]-AC)f

and work from there. Then just drop the test function f.

Thanks for the tip but I think I managed to do it without the test function (I think :P)

Could somebody please go over my workings to confirm if they are correct or not?

Expand:
[AB,C] = ABC - CAB

Sub in a factor of (ACB-ACB):
[AB,C] = ABC + (ACB - ACB) - CAB

Re-arrange:
(ABC - ACB) + (ACB - CAB)

Take out common factors:

A(BC - CB) + (AC - CA)B

Use commutator identities below:
A[B,C] = A(BC - CB)
[A,C]B = (AC - CA)B

Leading to A[B,C] + [A,C]B with any luck :P

Cheers :)

1. What is a commutator with a power?

A commutator with a power is a mathematical notation used to represent a specific set of operations on a group or ring. It is denoted by [A, B]^n, where A and B are elements of the group or ring, and n is a positive integer representing the number of times the commutator is applied.

2. How do I calculate a commutator with a power?

To calculate a commutator with a power, you will need to use the properties of commutators and the specific group or ring you are working with. Generally, you can expand the commutator using the Jacobi identity and then simplify using the properties of the group or ring. It may also be helpful to use a specific example to better understand the calculation process.

3. What is the significance of a commutator with a power?

Commutators with powers are used in group theory and ring theory to study the properties of groups and rings. They are particularly useful in proving theorems and identifying patterns within these mathematical structures. Additionally, commutators with powers can also be used to construct new groups and rings.

4. How is a commutator with a power related to other mathematical concepts?

Commutators with powers are closely related to other mathematical concepts such as commutators, group theory, and ring theory. They are also related to the concept of commutator subgroups and commutator rings. Understanding the relationship between these concepts can help in solving problems involving commutators with powers.

5. Can you provide an example of a "show that" question involving commutators with powers?

Yes, here is an example of a "show that" question involving commutators with powers: Show that [A, B]^3 = [A^3, B] + 3[A^2, B]A + 3[A, B]A^2 + [A, B]^3, where A and B are elements of a group or ring. This question requires the use of properties of commutators and the Jacobi identity to expand and simplify the expression.