Show that the Hamiltonian commutes with Angular momentum

In summary, the commutator between the ##L_i## and ##s_j## is given by:[L^2, L_i s_j] = (g/2)[L_i s_j, J_i s_j]
tarkin2

Homework Statement

[/B]
Parts (c) and (f) are the ones I'm having trouble with;

upload_2018-4-26_16-28-58.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
For (c), I assume the problem is meant to involve using the result from part (b), which was H = g(J2 - L2 - S2)/2 .

I was trying just to do it by first showing that H commutes with J2 , and then was going to do the same for L2 and S2, and also I would have just stated that Jz commutes with J2 and therefore also with the Hamiltonian.

But I wasn't entirely sure how to show that this. I tried:

[H, J2] = (g/2) [ J2 - L2 - S2 , J2 ]
=(g/2) ([ J2 , J2] - [L2, J2 ] - [S2 , J2 ])
= (g/2) (0- [L2, J2 ] - [S2 , J2 ])

But I wasn't sure how to show that these last 2 terms are 0. Also I assume this isn't the best method, because it doing it this way you would be answering part (f) in the process. Is there a different method, for only 3 marks?

Any help is appreciated

Attachments

• upload_2018-4-26_16-28-58.png
    upload_2018-4-26_16-28-58.png
    23.3 KB · Views: 2,991
Physics news on Phys.org
If I remember correctly a scalar operator commutes with every operator, and a square of an operator is scalar.

And a scalar operator is basically, ##s\cdot I## where ##s## is some scalar and ##I## is the identity operator, and you can prove that the identity operator commutes with any other operator.

tarkin2 said:

Homework Statement

[/B]
Parts (c) and (f) are the ones I'm having trouble with;

View attachment 224710

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
For (c), I assume the problem is meant to involve using the result from part (b), which was H = g(J2 - L2 - S2)/2 .

I was trying just to do it by first showing that H commutes with J2 , and then was going to do the same for L2 and S2, and also I would have just stated that Jz commutes with J2 and therefore also with the Hamiltonian.

But I wasn't entirely sure how to show that this. I tried:

[H, J2] = (g/2) [ J2 - L2 - S2 , J2 ]
=(g/2) ([ J2 , J2] - [L2, J2 ] - [S2 , J2 ])
= (g/2) (0- [L2, J2 ] - [S2 , J2 ])

But I wasn't sure how to show that these last 2 terms are 0. Also I assume this isn't the best method, because it doing it this way you would be answering part (f) in the process. Is there a different method, for only 3 marks?

Any help is appreciated
Hi. There is no need to rewrite the Hamiltonian, it is easier to leave in the form ##g L \cdot s##. First, note that ##L^2## is a Casimir operator, it commutes with any function of the ##L_i##. They give a hint: what is the commutation relations between the ##L_i## and ##s_j##? Using these two results it is trivial to calculate the commutator or ##L^2## with the Hamiltonian. The other commutators are easy to find using again that ##s^2## commutes with all the ##s_i## and that ##J^2## commutes with all the ##J_i##.

What does it mean for the Hamiltonian to commute with Angular momentum?

When we say that the Hamiltonian commutes with Angular momentum, we mean that these two quantities have the same set of eigenstates. This means that it is possible to simultaneously measure the energy (represented by the Hamiltonian) and the angular momentum of a system without affecting the outcome of either measurement.

Why is it important for the Hamiltonian to commute with Angular momentum?

This is an important property because it allows us to make predictions about the behavior of a system. If the Hamiltonian and Angular momentum do not commute, we cannot accurately describe the behavior of a system using these quantities.

How can we show that the Hamiltonian commutes with Angular momentum?

This can be shown mathematically using the commutation relation [H, L] = iℏL, where H is the Hamiltonian, L is the angular momentum operator, and ℏ is the reduced Planck's constant. If this relation holds true, we can conclude that the Hamiltonian commutes with the angular momentum.

What are the physical implications of the Hamiltonian commuting with Angular momentum?

If the Hamiltonian and Angular momentum commute, it means that the system is in a state of total angular momentum, and that the energy of the system is conserved. This allows us to make predictions about the system's behavior and understand its dynamics.

Are there any exceptions where the Hamiltonian does not commute with Angular momentum?

Yes, in certain cases where there are external forces or interactions present, the Hamiltonian may not commute with the angular momentum. This is known as the non-conservation of angular momentum and can occur in situations such as when there is a magnetic field present or when there are external torques acting on the system.