Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Compact operator in reflexive space compact

1. Sep 10, 2014 #1
    Hi, friends! I find an interesting unproven statement in my functional analysis book saying the image of the closed unit sphere through a compact linear operator, defined on a linear variety of a Banach space ##E##, is compact if ##E## is reflexive.
    Do anybody know a proof of the statement?
    ##\infty## thanks!!!

Last edited: Sep 10, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 10, 2014 #2
    Some facts which may be useful:
    - Given a Banach space, the unit ball of its dual space is weak*-compact.
    - Given a reflexive Banach space, the the weak and weak* topologies on its dual space coincide.
    - Any closed convex subset of a Banach space is weakly closed.
    - Any continuous map with compact domain has compact range.

4. Sep 10, 2014 #3
    I have found a proof what I didn't know of the propositions you quote here. My text states a lot of things of a more advanced level than the elements of theory that it explains, but I'm curious and want to try to understand as much as I can...
    While searching I have also found this page, which would resolve the problem if I understood why Because A is compact, ##Ax_{n_j}\to Ax## strongly. I only know that ##\forall f\in X^{\ast}## ##f(x_{n_j})\to f(x)## strongly...
    I ##\infty##-ly thank you and anybody wishing to join the thread!!!

Last edited: Sep 10, 2014
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook