Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Compactness and space dimension question

1. Nov 13, 2008 #1
    I am having trouble accepting two well known results of analysis as non contradictory.

First, given a vector space equipped with norm ||.||, the unit ball is compact iff the space is finite dimensional.

Second, the Arzela-Ascoli theorem asserts that given a compact set X, a set S contained in the space of all continuous functions f(X) equipped with the supremum norm is compact iff it is uniformly closed, uniformly bounded and equicontinuous.

My problem is the following: let S be the set of all equicontinuous functions on X with ||f|| <= 1, where ||.|| is the supremum norm. Is the space of all equicontinuous functions not an infinite dimensional subspace? Yet S is compact.

I realize there is something fundamental I'm not getting. Please help! :confused:

Last edited: Nov 13, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 13, 2008 #2

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The limit of an equicontinuous uniformly converging sequence is continuous, but not necessarily equicontinuous if I recall correctly. Hence you don't have closure, and thus the space isn't compact.

I've never really done anything with equicontinuous functions, so I could be wrong

4. Nov 13, 2008 #3
    Can't we use an epsilon/3 argument, just as in the proof that uniform convergence of continuous functions => continuity of the limit? In this case, the given delta valid for fn will be the one used for f, so f will be part of the equicontinuous family.

Now that I think of it, though, I don't think that the set of equicontinuous functions is closed under addition and scalar multiplication, hence it is not a subspace.

Nonetheless, it's still foggy to me why the first thm applies only to vector spaces, and not sets.

5. Nov 14, 2008 #4

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Well, it needs to be a vector space for norm, unit ball and finite dimensional to be defined.

6. Nov 14, 2008 #5
    It can be a subset of a vector space.

7. Nov 14, 2008 #6

morphism

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It doesn't make sense to speak of an equicontinuous function. Equicontinuity is a property of sets of functions.

So in your original post, the following bit is nonsensical:

8. Nov 14, 2008 #7

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

In such a case there's no reason to believe it contains any unit vectors. And the set still has no dimension on it unless it's a vector space itself

9. Nov 14, 2008 #8

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

One common thing to do in mathematics is to generalize a theorem by carefully studying its proof, and removing unused hypotheses, or weakening overly strong hypotheses.

So, you could try to do that here -- study the proof to see exactly what properties of "normed vector spaces", "unit balls", and "dimension' are being used here, and which aren't.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?