1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Compactness under homeomorphisms

1. Oct 4, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I want to show that homeomorphism preserve compactness on a set or a space. The definition of a homeomorphism is a continuous function with a continuous inverse.
    The definition of a continuous function is a function such that the pre-image of an open set is open.

Let f: X to Y be continuous. Let X be compact
    So, if you have an open cover in X then you have a finite subcover. But if you have an open cover in Y, then you could map it to X but how would you know that it is still an open cover in X?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 4, 2007 #2

morphism

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Suppose f:X->Y is a homeomorphism. If {U_i} is an open cover of Y, then {f^-1(U_i)} is an open cover of X.

4. Oct 4, 2007 #3
    That is exactly the statement form of my question. Could you please explain why that is true?

5. Oct 4, 2007 #4

morphism

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

We know that f is continuous and that each U_i is open. It follows that each f^-1(U_i) is open.

If Y = [itex]\cup[/itex] U_i, can you guess what [itex]\cup[/itex] f^-1(U_i) should be? Can you prove it?

6. Oct 4, 2007 #5
    Say, that there an x in X s.t. x is not in [itex]\cup[/itex] f^-1(U_i). Then take a nbhd of x N_x. f(N_x) must be in [itex]\cup[/itex] U_i.

OK. So, it comes down to whether the function is injective. Can we assumed it is? That is not part of the definition, is it?

7. Oct 4, 2007 #6

morphism

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

A homeomorphism is a bijection, so yes it's injective... But what does that have to do with anything?

Look, Y = [itex]\cup[/itex] U_i. So X = f^-1(Y) = f^-1([itex]\cup[/itex] U_i) = ...

Last edited: Oct 4, 2007
  8. Oct 4, 2007 #7
    OK. I guess the problem is more fundamental. I do not understand why a homeomorphism is a bijection. How would one show from the definition I wrote in the first post that it is surjective? That it is injective?

9. Oct 4, 2007 #8

morphism

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If it has an inverse it must be a bijection. :smile:

By the way, the f^-1's I used above were used to indicate taking the preimage.

10. Oct 4, 2007 #9
    I see. Thanks.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?