Comparing force of mass at rest vs falling mass

In summary, the conversation discusses comparing the force of a resting mass to the force of a falling mass, specifically with the example of a 300 pound mass dropped from 10 feet. The experts mention that the force depends on details of the collision process and can be larger at the time of impact. They also mention that the force increases from zero and eventually reaches a peak before staying fairly constant. They also mention that the integral of the force over time will equal the momentum of the incoming object. However, the exact force is indeterminate and depends on the details of the impact.
BTT
What equations can be used to compare the force of a resting X mass to the force of a smaller Y mass falling Z distance.

Specifically, how much resting mass would equal the force of 300 pounds being dropped from 10 feet up?

Physics news on Phys.org
A force from what, where?
The gravitational force between Earth and some other mass depends on the distance between the objects, but on the scale of a building you can neglect this effect.

yes, Earth's gravitational force applied to a resting mass and a falling mass. I am quite sure that a falling mass produces considerably more force than a mass at rest.

The gravitational force is the same.

The force applied on a surface can be larger at the time the falling mass hits it, as it gets decelerated rapidly. The force depends on details of the collision process.

I think backing up and restating this might help.

Let us say we are comparing the force of a 2000 kg inelastic sphere at rest on an inelastic floor vs a 200kg but same size inelastic sphere dropped 10 ft at sea level on earth.

Initially the second sphere will have a force of zero because it does not touch the floor, then it will have a large force for a very short time (where "large" and "short" depend on details of the collision process), then (resting on the floor) it will have 1/10 of the force.

That much I understand just fine. I want to know what number "large" is. The collision process is something I have simplified as much as possible. It is a point impact between two solid inelastic bodies. Can I get some actual math in here?

BTT said:
That much I understand just fine. I want to know what number "large" is. The collision process is something I have simplified as much as possible. It is a point impact between two solid inelastic bodies. Can I get some actual math in here?
As mfb wrote, it's indeterminate in general. It depends on the details of the impact.
In reality, all impacts involve deformations. The deformation takes some short time, and the force varies over that time. Typically, the force will increase from zero, at first more or less uniformly with the degree of deformation. Some peak may then be reached and the force stay fairly constant for a while.
What you can say is that the integral of the force over time will equal in magnitude the momentum of the incoming object. If you try to claim the impact takes zero time then you will get the crazy result that the force is infinite.

1. How does the force of mass at rest compare to the force of a falling mass?

The force of a mass at rest is equal to its weight, which is calculated by multiplying the mass by the acceleration due to gravity. On the other hand, the force of a falling mass is determined by the mass, acceleration due to gravity, and the speed at which it is falling. In general, the force of a falling mass will be greater than that of a mass at rest due to the added influence of gravity.

2. What factors affect the force of a falling mass?

The force of a falling mass is affected by three main factors: the mass of the object, the acceleration due to gravity, and the speed at which it is falling. The greater the mass, acceleration, or speed, the greater the force of the falling mass will be. Additionally, factors such as air resistance and the slope of the surface can also affect the force of a falling mass.

3. How does the force of a falling mass change over time?

The force of a falling mass changes over time due to the influence of gravity and the acceleration of the object. As an object falls, its speed increases, which in turn increases the force of the object. However, as the object falls, it may also encounter air resistance, which can decrease the force acting on the object.

4. Is the force of a falling mass always greater than the force of a mass at rest?

In most cases, the force of a falling mass will be greater than that of a mass at rest. However, there are certain scenarios where this may not be the case. For example, if a mass is resting on a surface that is inclined at an angle, the force of the mass at rest may be greater than that of a falling mass due to the influence of gravity in the direction of the incline.

5. How is the force of mass at rest vs falling mass relevant in real life?

The concept of comparing the force of mass at rest vs falling mass is relevant in various real-life situations. For example, understanding the forces acting on an object during a fall is crucial in designing safety equipment such as parachutes or airbags. It is also important in calculating the impact force of falling objects, which can be useful in engineering and construction projects.